Debt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mountain Cow

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying this cycle (matriculate fall 08) and will have >60,000 in debt from an expensive (but good) masters program. If I go to a private med school I could easily imagine graduating with >300,000 in debt!

Starting with this much debt, which is accumulating interest, how will I ever get out?

Anyone else in a similar situation?

I know there is the national health service corp, military option (not for me), and MD/PhD (actually very interested in research and this option), but if I don't do any "special" programs, will I be in debt till I'm old?

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the same boat...I have roughly 60k now and expect another 160k to 200k depending on what school accepts me. I figure that I will be in debt for the rest of my anyway-house, car, etc. School loans are usually a much better interest rate and I hope to refinance for a long repayment time.

I am applying this cycle (matriculate fall 08) and will have >60,000 in debt from an expensive (but good) masters program. If I go to a private med school I could easily imagine graduating with >300,000 in debt!

Starting with this much debt, which is accumulating interest, how will I ever get out?

Anyone else in a similar situation?

I know there is the national health service corp, military option (not for me), and MD/PhD (actually very interested in research and this option), but if I don't do any "special" programs, will I be in debt till I'm old?

Yes, you'll be in debt for a while, but once you get past residency/fellowship, you will be making plenty of money. Eventually you will pay it all back.

another thing to think about is loan repayment programs (since you are interested in research). If you do not end up doing MD/PhD, you should still go for medical school. I know the NIH has a loan repayment program if you decide to do research for them after you finish med school and residency; that would certainly help with some of the debt.
There are also state-specific programs that you can look into...For example, I think MA has a program where if you go to UMass med school and do your residency in MA, you can get a significant portion of your loans paid back to you (2/3?).