Decent amount of EC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Selso2109

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thinking of applying thiscoming May. I am thinking my extracurricular activities may be a little light.

50 hours dental shadowing
50 hours medical doctor shadowing
50 hours community service
Member of Rutgers chemical society
Phi Thetta Kappa member
2 Years served in US Army, military intelligence corps. with 1 year being served overseas in Korea.

My GPA will be over 3.75 with over a 3.7 BCP and total science. Will take the DAT in July.

Enough EC or what? Kinda wish I played the piano or something :)

Members don't see this ad.

Thinking of applying thiscoming May. I am thinking my extracurricular activities may be a little light.

Phi Thetta Kappa member
2 Years served in US Army, military intelligence corps. with 1 year being served overseas in Korea.

My GPA will be over 3.75 with over a 3.7 BCP and total science. Will take the DAT in July.

Wow... it depends on the school you want to get into. Certain schools emphasize research/volunteers...ect...

But I don't think you have anything to worry about though...
I didn't have any EC...and got into NYU and Temple.

Phi Thetta Kappa member

Hmmm... looks pretty light until I get to the part about you spending two years in military intelligence with a year in Korea. That's pretty awesome.

I'm a big believer in the idea that schools look for "unique" EC activities. Keep in mind that schools read about students with high GPAs, community service, blah blah blah all day long. Not to say that those types of things aren't impressive, but they are relatively common for dschool and med applicants.

I wouldn't say that I had the most (in terms of quantity) of EC stuff, but I played a D1 sport and subsequently coached that sport at my high school (among a few other things). I definitely got the sense from interviews that schools like the idea of accepting (or at least interviewing) someone who they can get a good read on in terms of interests, etc. Just involve yourself in activities which you enjoy and which tie together your interests well rather than doing ECs just to build a resume. Quality and consistency of ECs is more important than quantity.

In short, commit yourself to things you really enjoy, play those things up in your applications and you'll be fine. You already have good stats, and you can definitely justify your choice of dentistry since you've also shadowed in med, although I would spend a little more time in various dental offices to show you prefer that track.

Good luck! Holler at Rutgers.