Decent Composite, Low BS

Started by als130
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

als130

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anybody know (especially any ADCOMs floating around) how MD schools view an applicant that scores 11VR, 11PS, 08BS? I realize that this is pretty much the inverse of the typical applicant who scores highest in the Biological Sciences...
 
They probably view it the same as if you'd gotten an 8 in PS and an 11 in BS. Schools don't really care about which specific area on the MCAT you did the best/worst in, they generally look at how you did overall and whether the spread was something ridiculous like 13/4/14.
 
I personally think that it would be worse (but not by too much) than if you had gotten the 8 in ps or vr since they want to see that you can memorize biology and apply the info logically/critically and analyze new info. I don't think you need to retake it, but if you do, you should be able to do much better on the bio section since getting 11 in VR/PS suggests that you already have the logic and critical thinking skill required, you would just need to do more review/memorization for bio.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
GTB, that is what I feared...the biology is more memorization, and I took it lightly when I was studying. I think that if I took it again, I could definitely get that score up, and probably also the verbal! I scored very high on the GRE (96th percentile) and could stand to do some more work to get that score up as well. Thank you for your reply!
 
They probably view it the same as if you'd gotten an 8 in PS and an 11 in BS. Schools don't really care about which specific area on the MCAT you did the best/worst in, they generally look at how you did overall and whether the spread was something ridiculous like 13/4/14.

This isn't true. I talked to an assistant dean of admissions at a school I'm applying to who stated they look at MCAT scores like this:

1. BS score
2. PS Score




3. VR score


He made it clear that a good composite on the strength of a high verbal score is definitely considered "weaker" than the same composite bolstered by a high BS score.

Of course, different schools have different priorities, but usually BS is considered the most important sub-section score as it has the most valid prognostic capability for future performance in med school.