Decent GPA, breaks in transcript

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vangoghdesigns

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I took the time (~3 hours) to search for a similar thread but didn't find one. I just started investigating applying to a DPT program so I might be way ahead of myself, but in the downtime between looking for a good volunteer opportunity I figured I might as well do the rest of my homework. I also know that grades are only one part of the story; the rest seems to lie in relevant volunteer experience and strong recommendations.

I have a decent GPA (~3.60) and a decent science GPA in the pre-reqs I already took for my BS (~3.7-3.82, depending on how they calculate it, since I took more chem/phys than I "needed"). I have yet to take a few of the prerequisites (psychology, anatomy, physiology).

Unfortunately, near the end of my BS I let stress from some family and work issues get to me, and while my grades didn't suffer so much, I did have some course drops and it took me longer than usual to finish my thesis. I know that GPA isn't everything; schools, no matter what program, also look for consistency and improvement.

Presuming I am able to secure similarly good grades in the rest of my prereqs, good references and a solid base of volunteer experience, would I still be somewhat competitive? I don't want to jump the gun if anything in my past will automatically disqualify me.

Members don't see this ad.

You seem to be a strong candidate academically, and if you explain to ADCOMS(Admission Committees) that you are committed and ready to pursue an education in Physical Therapy then I don't really see why you would not be accepted. I would just do my homework on the programs you plan to apply to. Consider issues such as:
-Curriculum
-Cost
-Faculty
-Clinical Education
-Proximity to Family/Friends(if that is something you value greatly or may serve as a distraction)
-NPTE Board Pass Rates(Ideally 95% or greater first time pass rate)

The key is to do your homework. Keep us updated and let us know if there are other questions you have.

I should probably also clarify that I essentially dropped out of school for 1.5 years, but I did come back and finish my last few requirements (including my thesis) with pretty good grades.

Last edited: