PTCAS GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theptgirl24

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

So I submitted one of my applications for Emory University and the GPA that I graduated with is a 3.59 but PTCAS generated it to a 3.07. Anyone knows why this happens? I went to a community college for two years and my GPA was terrible it was like a 2.75. But then when I transferred to a University, I only got A's and B's and graduated cum laude with a 3.59. Can anyone explain? Will the school see my 3.07 and reject me :( Help Pleaseee

p.s I have 4000 hours of inpatient, outpatient experience. (I was a rehab tech). I Also have experience in wound care, ortho, neuro, OT, Speech therapy and sport medicine. I have three recs. One from adjunct professor and 2 from physical therapist.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Guys,

So I submitted one of my applications for Emory University and the GPA that I graduated with is a 3.59 but PTCAS generated it to a 3.07. Anyone knows why this happens? I went to a community college for two years and my GPA was terrible it was like a 2.75. But then when I transferred to a University, I only got A's and B's and graduated cum laude with a 3.59. Can anyone explain? Will the school see my 3.07 and reject me :( Help Pleaseee

p.s I have 4000 hours of inpatient, outpatient experience. (I was a rehab tech). I Also have experience in wound care, ortho, neuro, OT, Speech therapy and sport medicine. I have three recs. One from adjunct professor and 2 from physical therapist.
PTCAS takes into account ALL grades from each institution you attended and averages them together to get your final cGPA, similar to how AMCAS or any other CAS operates.

Hey Guys,

As the other reply mentions, PTCAS will total your grades. Meaning any college-level course (regardless of retakes or institution), will be factored into the GPA. So 3.07 is the calculated total GPA after factoring your CC (2.75) and university (3.59) GPA. DPT programs take into account a holistic view of their applicants so even though the total GPA is not the best, the upward trend in grades shows you've improved since then. Good LOR, essay, and experience can go a long way to get to the interview phase where you can explain more.

However Emory is a top-notch school and DPT admissions are super competitive in the first place so I hope when you said you submitted one of your applications to Emory, that you are applying to more than one program.... Also assuming you applied to more than one program, all DPT programs you applied to should receive the same PTCAS calculated total GPA. This calculated total GPA is not specific to Emory.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So am I doomed? How can I raise this GPA? I’ve applied to more schools but a 3.07 is really low.

So am I doomed? How can I raise this GPA? I’ve applied to more schools but a 3.07 is really low.
Some schools will look favorably at upward GPA trends. Your EC may also help your application and tell a story about you. Admissions processes are (supposed to be) holistic, so while your GPA isn’t doing you any favors you may still have a chance as crazier things have happened. You could also take some more classes to boost your GPA. If so try some more challenging classes and knock them out of the park so adcoms see you have the potential to handle difficult material and the course load that you’ll be facing.

Will do! I’m taking biology and A&P 2 over again at the moment because I had a C in it. I know for sure I will get an A in these classes but I don’t think it will go up that much. I’ll probably reach a 3.2. Thank you for your advice. Hopefully they look at me as a person rather than my GPA.

Reactions: 1 user
Will do! I’m taking biology and A&P 2 over again at the moment because I had a C in it. I know for sure I will get an A in these classes but I don’t think it will go up that much. I’ll probably reach a 3.2. Thank you for your advice. Hopefully they look at me as a person rather than my GPA.
Emory does not replace prior course grades if you retake the course and achieve a higher grade. If you retake courses it will be the same as taking an entirely different course in regards to its affect on your GPA as both will be factored into the total. Just FYI

Emory does not replace prior course grades if you retake the course and achieve a higher grade. If you retake courses it will be the same as taking an entirely different course in regards to its affect on your GPA as both will be factored into the total. Just FYI
So retaking the course is pointless for Emory? Will it contribute to my GPA at all?

So retaking the course is pointless for Emory? Will it contribute to my GPA at all?
It will not be totally pointless, but it would affect your overall GPA very little. For example if you took General Biology 1 in 2019 and received a C, but retook it in 2023 and received an A+, your PTCAS will show BOTH the C and the A+ and will calculate your cumulative GPA the same as it would for any additional class. Some schools are different and replace grades. Emory is not one of those schools though.

Thank you for the Information. I feel so hopeless now. But I will try to look on brighter side. It sucks how my freshman and sophomore year affected my GPA so much.

I would ask the programs you are most interested in whether a retake is really going to help you. PTCAS is a big spreadsheet, and we can see a breakdown of your grades by year, by course subject, and by institution. If you have a strong set of grades over your last 30-60 credit hours, many of the schools will factor this in deciding candidates to interview.

Why does everything have to do with GPA? I mean, what if we have the experience, shadowing hours, and work in the medical field for so many years, shouldn't that be more of an idea that you want to be in the program? I understand that this is the universities way of their process of elimination but this sucks.
I don't have the money to retake classes to boost my GPA. I'm not young (55) to be hoping that one day I'll get picked for an interview. So why can't the school look at everything else except GPA?

Why does everything have to do with GPA? I mean, what if we have the experience, shadowing hours, and work in the medical field for so many years, shouldn't that be more of an idea that you want to be in the program? I understand that this is the universities way of their process of elimination but this sucks.
I don't have the money to retake classes to boost my GPA. I'm not young (55) to be hoping that one day I'll get picked for an interview. So why can't the school look at everything else except GPA?
schools want to see that you can handle the academic rigor of DPT school. You may be the best at working with others, but if you cannot make it past the initial coursework, that wont matter.