MD & DO decent MCAT/low GPA, need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ooh a bean

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You should receive several interviews from your list. You could add schools such as:
Creighton
Tulane
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College

Hey everyone,

Currently in the middle of the app cycle and I'm starting to wonder if I should be applying to DO since I'm not sure if I want to keep paying for all these apps and also wondering if out of my remaining secondaries there are some that aren't worth filling out based on my stats, etc..

Profile:
just graduated from a college with a strong premed program (think level 2 undergrad schools on Wedgedawg's applicant rating system)
Asian Male from not Chicago or suburbs but still Northern Illinois
cGPA: ~3.5, sGPA: ~3.35
Strong upward trend, cGPA was ~3.2 halfway through sophomore year
MCAT: 517 (balanced)

I suggest skipping:

Penn State (have immediate family member that attended undergrad)
Toledo
Northwestern
Cooper Medical College
SIU
Mizzou-Columbia (I can't recommend unless you qualify for MO residence)

IF you have no IIs by T-giving, then throw some DO schools a nod. Start with CCOM, DMU and MUCOM. Otherwise, see how this cycle goes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, posting an update here

I was just approved for the AACOMAS Fee Assistance Program and was wondering which DO schools I should consider applying to since the waiver expires in 2 weeks. I would prefer to keep the costs to a minimum and was mostly curious if I should consider switching out any other programs from the ones on my current list.

My current list is
CCOM
DMU
MUCOM
PCOM-Philly (Family in Philly)
OUHCOM (I have some ties to Dublin, Ohio)

Of note:
I don't have a DO letter, but I did shadow my uncle who is a practicing DO, and I have a letter from the director of my school's shadowing program (who is an MD) that outlines my clinical experiences while in the program. I would prefer to apply to programs that do not require a DO letter since obtaining one would be quite difficult at the current time.

Thanks for any and all feedback!

I don't believe any of those programs require a DO letter, they are just "strongly recommended."

AZCOM loves high MCAT scores, I think you could be successful there.