Decided on Cornell and then... ((helpful) input requested)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
krelian said:
Question about the Pitt scholarship: Is it only for people with very strong intentions to enter academic medicine? Do all of the applicants know that far in advance that they will definitely pursue academic medicine?

I don't think you need to be totally gungho about academic medicine, but you should have some "proof" that you're interested in research.

For those in similar situations, what are people's thoughts about geography and residency? Is it preferable to go to the school where you want to end up for residency? I suppose it would be, though I don't think the advantage would outweigh the money...

Members don't see this ad.

tommerbommer said:
I must say that the visit (as well as many of the considerations expressed in a majority of the above posts) has me almost completely sold on attending Pitt.
Tommer, it's good to hear that you're feeling more settled on a decision.

P.S. I think we met at second-look... I'll give you a hint... Louis.

leechy said:
For those in similar situations, what are people's thoughts about geography and residency? Is it preferable to go to the school where you want to end up for residency? I suppose it would be, though I don't think the advantage would outweigh the money...

Most medical schools are relatively more successful at getting graduates into 'local' residency programs than residency programs elsewhere. But if you are deciding between schools like Cornell and Pitt, which both have great match lists, I think moving to a different location for residency is fairly easy. It seems that the minimal advantage (at that) given by attending Cornell in gaining a NYC residency is vastly outweighed by the full ride to Pitt.

In general, though, if deciding between two schools with matchlists that tend to be exclusively or mostly local, I would pick the school in the preferable location.