Deciding Between John's Hopkins and UVA Post-Bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cbrady3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone! I'm having trouble deciding which Post-bacc program to attend, and can't find much information about UVA on here. (Everything is from 2007!)

I have been accepted a variety of places and think I have narrowed it down to Johns Hopkins and UVA. I would love to do Georgetown, but don't think it has enough structure for me.

I loved UVA and adore Charlottesville, but the program isn't as recognized as JHU. I have heard wonderful things about the professors and advising, I just don't know if having a lesser-known program will hurt me.

JHU was wonderful and I really liked the program director. I am confident I will get an amazing education there, but it will be in big undergrad classes. Their acceptance rate is 100% into med school, and despite not being JHU medical I think the name carries some weight. Baltimore has a so/so reputation and I've heard the program may be a bit competitive.

I'd love any thoughts or help!!

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations on all your acceptances. I was also accepted to the Hopkins Post-Bac Program for the 2013-2014 school year and am planning to attend. My goal in applying to post-bac programs was to attend the one that would most increase my chance at getting accepted to a top med school. Although I may receive some flak for saying so, it's my opinion that Hopkins offers opportunities at a caliber unmatched by almost any other program in the country. The resources available to you in the realm of research and clinical training as a pre-med student was enough in itself to sway my decision. Although the classes will definitely be challenging, and you'll be attending courses in a competitive environment, I think taking (and doing well in) full fledged Hopkins courses will give you a leg up in the med school application pool. Also, I'm sure you already now the director Dr. Tan specializes and is published in the area of "the med school application process." That definitely factored into my decision as I feel she will be an invaluable resource throughout the program and glide-year if I chose not to link.

I recently read a blog written by someone who went through the post-bac program many years ago. He reviews a few of the courses in detail which I found very helpful: http://us-i.blogspot.com/

This is just my opinion though. You need to decide what's most important to you and make your decision based on that. I hope to see you this summer!

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you! Very helpful, and I agree with most. My only concern is that if it is that competitive/cut-throat, I won't be happy. It's a challenging year, and I don't want to be miserable.
But hopefully that is not the case!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations on all your acceptances. I was also accepted to the Hopkins Post-Bac Program for the 2013-2014 school year and am planning to attend. My goal in applying to post-bac programs was to attend the one that would most increase my chance at getting accepted to a top med school. Although I may receive some flak for saying so, it's my opinion that Hopkins offers opportunities at a caliber unmatched by almost any other program in the country. The resources available to you in the realm of research and clinical training as a pre-med student was enough in itself to sway my decision. Although the classes will definitely be challenging, and you'll be attending courses in a competitive environment, I think taking (and doing well in) full fledged Hopkins courses will give you a leg up in the med school application pool. Also, I'm sure you already now the director Dr. Tan specializes and is published in the area of "the med school application process." That definitely factored into my decision as I feel she will be an invaluable resource throughout the program and glide-year if I chose not to link.

I recently read a blog written by someone who went through the post-bac program many years ago. He reviews a few of the courses in detail which I found very helpful: http://us-i.blogspot.com/

This is just my opinion though. You need to decide what's most important to you and make your decision based on that. I hope to see you this summer!

hey guys!

congrats!!

Last edited:
@Kirkman I was just accepted today for this year...would you be able to PM me and answer a couple of my questions!