Deciding between UConn vs Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

viciousseacow

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Apologies for another this school vs that school thread, but I wanted some advice. I'm trying to decide between going to UConn or Michigan. Being from California, either location is going to be an adjustment for me, although I like Ann Arbor slightly more than Farmington. Cost matters, and I think with UConn I can reclassify as a resident after the 1st year but at Michigan I'd have to pay the out-of-state tuition all four years. Still, the most important thing for me is going to a quality program that will give me the best chance to specialize (considering OMFS). When I interviewed at UConn they seemed to stress their high specialty program placement rates, which is really appealing. How is Michigan's specialty placement rate? Any thoughts on which school would be the best choice? Much thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

viciousseacow said:
Apologies for another this school vs that school thread, but I wanted some advice. I'm trying to decide between going to UConn or Michigan. Being from California, either location is going to be an adjustment for me, although I like Ann Arbor slightly more than Farmington. Cost matters, and I think with UConn I can reclassify as a resident after the 1st year but at Michigan I'd have to pay the out-of-state tuition all four years. Still, the most important thing for me is going to a quality program that will give me the best chance to specialize (considering OMFS). When I interviewed at UConn they seemed to stress their high specialty program placement rates, which is really appealing. How is Michigan's specialty placement rate? Any thoughts on which school would be the best choice? Much thanks!

Either way it is up to you whether you specialize. UConn is small class size, which is nice. Ann Arbor is a beautiful area. UConn is medical the whole first two years as well, and the small town (no town) means no life outside school.

Well, being from CA you will definitely like Michigan a lot more and it will be less of an adjustment for you. Going by the numbers it is technically easier to specialize at Michigan cause most people don't want to and it is overall much less competitive than UConn. That being said, those who want to specialize at Michigan typically do get in so no worries. They are both great schools, congrats to the OP on getting into both places. Up to you where you take it from here - I say take Michigan so I can take your spot at UConn :)

Members don't see this ad :)
why would michigan be an easier adjustment? just curious...

Biogirl361 said:
why would michigan be an easier adjustment? just curious...

haha maybe cause of all the califonians that come to michigan...at least for undergrad. And it much more city-like than Farmington, CT and removing snow and neglecting palm trees and beaches, the places are similar. They are both good places though, I loved em both.

isn't conn a better school for specializing?

ems5184 said:
haha maybe cause of all the califonians that come to michigan...at least for undergrad. And it much more city-like than Farmington, CT and removing snow and neglecting palm trees and beaches, the places are similar. They are both good places though, I loved em both.

yea, now that you mention it i have noticed there are a relatively large number of people from CA here compared to other represented states.

ems5184 said:

There are lots of californians at Michigan in the grad and professional program. Also, UCLA seems to be the most represented cali schools on Michigan campus. Michigan for some reason liked UCLA grads.

and ucla loves berkeley

viciousseacow said:
I think it comes down to where you want to be verses the cost of that option. Both schools are very good and I'm of the opinion that if you work hard and stay consistent through all four years, you will have the specialty options you want. I found myself in a similar situation deciding between UConn and Ohio State. In fact, I had paid my deposit at UConn and then after wringing my hands for a little while longer chose Ohio State. I felt like the experience here was more than just dental school (You can't beat Big Ten football ;) ). However, it was also much cheaper here because I got residency my first year. While there are times I wish I'd have chosen UConn (the grass is always greener on the other side), I believe I will have the same specialty options here (although I'm 99% sure I'll do general). Anyway, my point is decide where you want to live and where you think your overall experience will be the fullest, and then decide if the cost is worth it to you. Both are fantastic programs and I'm convinced your education will be great at either school...you can tell I don't harbor the same hatred of Michigan that many Ohio State fans do! :laugh: