Deciding between UConn vs Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

viciousseacow

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Apologies for another this school vs that school thread, but I wanted some advice. I'm trying to decide between going to UConn or Michigan. Being from California, either location is going to be an adjustment for me, although I like Ann Arbor slightly more than Farmington. Cost matters, and I think with UConn I can reclassify as a resident after the 1st year but at Michigan I'd have to pay the out-of-state tuition all four years. Still, the most important thing for me is going to a quality program that will give me the best chance to specialize (considering OMFS). When I interviewed at UConn they seemed to stress their high specialty program placement rates, which is really appealing. How is Michigan's specialty placement rate? Any thoughts on which school would be the best choice? Much thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know the numbers but my opinion is that everyone should always go where they feel the most comfortable and will be happy. If you work your tail off and have the numbers, research experience and letters of recommendation, I think you will get into a specialty no matter what school you're from :)

viciousseacow said:
Apologies for another this school vs that school thread, but I wanted some advice. I'm trying to decide between going to UConn or Michigan. Being from California, either location is going to be an adjustment for me, although I like Ann Arbor slightly more than Farmington. Cost matters, and I think with UConn I can reclassify as a resident after the 1st year but at Michigan I'd have to pay the out-of-state tuition all four years. Still, the most important thing for me is going to a quality program that will give me the best chance to specialize (considering OMFS). When I interviewed at UConn they seemed to stress their high specialty program placement rates, which is really appealing. How is Michigan's specialty placement rate? Any thoughts on which school would be the best choice? Much thanks!

Go to UCONN. It is a good school...yea clinicals are not great but it is a really prestigious school to graduate from. Not to mention, it is the cheaper bet. I for one believe that Michigan, which is also a great school, is worth no more than paying the in-state price. If UCONN lets you re-classify as in-state, then go for it. You'll save money, AND stand a much better chance at specializing. Good luck with your decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
Goto UCONN, no brainer and it has nothing to do with the fact that I'm an alum from there :D or that I could potentially be one of your instructors in your 2nd, 3rd or 4th years there :D ;)

Plus we currently have way better basketball teams than "Big Blue" does :D (and I hope that my former residency program director who lurks in here every now and then and is a Michigan alum reads this :D :eek: :p :wow: :hardy: )

DEF UCONN

they'll let you pay in state tuition after your 1st yr. if i remember correctly, you'll be paying around 15000/yr after your 1st yr. couldnt ever beat that.