Deciding between undergraduate schools

SuperficialSteve

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off I apologize if undergraduate discussions are not allowed in this section. I am a undergrad student transferring from a community college where I obtained my associates of science and earned a 3.92 GPA. I am looking to transfer to one of the universities in my state and I am looking for additional advice regarding them and which of them would be most beneficial to my medical school ambitions. I would appreciate opinions based on the following information:

School 1:
Pros: Has my number one degree choice, I have a 90% tuition transfer scholarship, it has fairly cheap student housing, I fit its social and cultural profile very well.

Cons: I worry about its academic reputation among medical schools, I worry about my ability to obtain research positions here, the school has the least amount and least established pre-medical resources such as clubs, advisers, mentoring, etc., the city seems to lack patient exposure opportunities due to its rural nature.

School 2:
Pros: Has my second degree choice (basically the same as the number one choice), I have about a 75% tuition transfer scholarship, the school is a major research school with plenty of student research opportunities, the school is located in a large city and is surrounded by 3 major hospitals within a 1-mile radius and I therefore expect patient exposure opportunities, the school has its own MD school, the school has great pre-medical support, clubs, advisers, etc., I feel it presents the best environment for my medical aspirations.

Cons: Expensive student housing (I will likely go into debt paying for it), the school is very large with large class sizes, the amount of student at this school sometimes causes discomfort (I come from a rural town of about 6000 and this school is about 32,000 people), I worry about my ability to adjust to the size of the school/campus.

School 3:
Pros: I have a 100% tuition scholarship and free housing (living with family), the school has a rural health program that could be valuable to me, the school has a moderate amount of pre-health advising and service opportunities (via the rural health program), I fit the social and cultural profile well, I am comfortable at this school due to its smaller size.

Cons: It is a significantly smaller school and I expect that to be reflected in its research and extracurricular opportunities, I expect research opportunities to be severely limited, there is a moderate sized local hospital where there may or may not be patient exposure/clinical volunteering opportunities, I worry about its academic reputation among medical schools.

Sorry if this information is too vague but I appreciate any opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

PM me if you want to use actual school names because that'll help, but other than that 2=3>1 based on this info. School choice doesn't matter thaaat much unless it's between the T10 or T20 but it's best to find somewhere where you won't be stressing about finding research, ECs, shadowing, etc.

Hi,

I hope to be a pre-med and am trying to decide between the following undergraduate schools.
I would really appreciate any advice regarding the pros and cons of these schools, with respect to my prospects for admission to med school (aside from financial aspects, which are obviously a consideration).

PRIMARY PROSPECTS (based on current info):

Cornell University (Minor scholarship)

University of California, Berkeley (In state tuition)

University of California, Los Angeles (In state tuition)

Emory University (Scholarship covering around 43% of tuition)

OTHER POSSIBILITIES (based on current info):

University of California, Davis (Minor scholarship)

University of California, Santa Barbara (Minor scholarship)

University of California, Riverside (In state tuition, plus scholarship covering 2/3rd of that tuition)

NYU

University of Michigan

I have heard GPA, MCAT, and leadership/clinical/research opportunities matter a lot for med school admissions. However, I have heard conflicting views regarding how much (if at all) the overall ranking of the undergraduate institution matters.
( I need to decide before May 1, 2018)

Thank you in advance for sharing any insights (especially specific info regarding the schools),

PigeonPoint

Members don't see this ad :)
First off I apologize if undergraduate discussions are not allowed in this section. I am a undergrad student transferring from a community college where I obtained my associates of science and earned a 3.92 GPA. I am looking to transfer to one of the universities in my state and I am looking for additional advice regarding them and which of them would be most beneficial to my medical school ambitions. I would appreciate opinions based on the following information:

School 1:
Pros: Has my number one degree choice, I have a 90% tuition transfer scholarship, it has fairly cheap student housing, I fit its social and cultural profile very well.

Cons: I worry about its academic reputation among medical schools, I worry about my ability to obtain research positions here, the school has the least amount and least established pre-medical resources such as clubs, advisers, mentoring, etc., the city seems to lack patient exposure opportunities due to its rural nature.

School 2:
Pros: Has my second degree choice (basically the same as the number one choice), I have about a 75% tuition transfer scholarship, the school is a major research school with plenty of student research opportunities, the school is located in a large city and is surrounded by 3 major hospitals within a 1-mile radius and I therefore expect patient exposure opportunities, the school has its own MD school, the school has great pre-medical support, clubs, advisers, etc., I feel it presents the best environment for my medical aspirations.

Cons: Expensive student housing (I will likely go into debt paying for it), the school is very large with large class sizes, the amount of student at this school sometimes causes discomfort (I come from a rural town of about 6000 and this school is about 32,000 people), I worry about my ability to adjust to the size of the school/campus.

School 3:
Pros: I have a 100% tuition scholarship and free housing (living with family), the school has a rural health program that could be valuable to me, the school has a moderate amount of pre-health advising and service opportunities (via the rural health program), I fit the social and cultural profile well, I am comfortable at this school due to its smaller size.

Cons: It is a significantly smaller school and I expect that to be reflected in its research and extracurricular opportunities, I expect research opportunities to be severely limited, there is a moderate sized local hospital where there may or may not be patient exposure/clinical volunteering opportunities, I worry about its academic reputation among medical schools.

Sorry if this information is too vague but I appreciate any opinions.

I agree with Sharknado for the most part. I would organize it into school 2 > 3 > 1. You really don't want to have to worry about the reputation of your university hurting your medical school odds, especially if that reputation is something like massive grade inflation. I think that having a medical school in your undergraduate university will give you a lot of opportunities and that is why I listed school 2 as the best one. Although the housing may be expensive, working part time to help pay/taking out some loans should not be a total turn off from that university. School 3's biggest benefit seems to be the low cost.

Hi,

I hope to be a pre-med and am trying to decide between the following undergraduate schools.
I would really appreciate any advice regarding the pros and cons of these schools, with respect to my prospects for admission to med school (aside from financial aspects, which are obviously a consideration).

PRIMARY PROSPECTS (based on current info):

Cornell University (Minor scholarship)

University of California, Berkeley (In state tuition)

University of California, Los Angeles (In state tuition)

Emory University (Scholarship covering around 43% of tuition)

OTHER POSSIBILITIES (based on current info):

University of California, Davis (Minor scholarship)

University of California, Santa Barbara (Minor scholarship)

University of California, Riverside (In state tuition, plus scholarship covering 2/3rd of that tuition)

NYU

University of Michigan

I have heard GPA, MCAT, and leadership/clinical/research opportunities matter a lot for med school admissions. However, I have heard conflicting views regarding how much (if at all) the overall ranking of the undergraduate institution matters.
( I need to decide before May 1, 2018)

Thank you in advance for sharing any insights (especially specific info regarding the schools),

PigeonPoint

As for "Mr. Steal-your-thread" over here, those are all big schools with great opportunities in each of them. They all have big names that'll appeal to medical schools, I would just go with the one you feel is the best fit or lets you stay close to family.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for the advice, Flav. . .
I am new to SDN and wasn't sure if it was more appropriate etiquette to start a new thread for my request. I'll do so.

Thank you for the advice, Flav. . .
I am new to SDN and wasn't sure if it was more appropriate etiquette to start a new thread for my request. I'll do so.

Haha, I'm just busting your balls a little.

Also, you might get the best advice at the hSDN sub-forum, which is dedicated to high school student and can be found way down in the forums. (It's hiding pretty far down there, just ctrl + F "hSDN")