PhD/PsyD Deciding on offer to Accept

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which program?

• Wright Institute

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • Chicago School of Professional Psychology

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
The median debt of a new PsyD grad far outweighs 2 years of income, without even adding in the interest payments. This data is freely available.

APA says it is $200k so if you have to wait 2 years to get into a funded program and we assume an average annual salary for a psychologist of 80k you will have saved 40k compared to the mean by delaying your career, and in some respects your life, for 2 years.

Members don't see this ad.

2 years of lost income for a psychologist is also a 6 figure number. So yes.

I'm curious as to what kind of salary you think someone who is going to school full time is making. 30k? 40k? Say you make 40k a year (which would be VERY generous) and maybe ONLY working 20 hours a week (which is what many assistantships ask). Say on top of that you are doing some research (but not as much as a PhD since you said they don't so whatever). Let's say like....10 hours a week. On top of that you have your required hours of practicum and externship. Maybe 15 hours a week. At this point you are technically working as much as a PhD for the most part for 50k a year. Your tuition costs 37k a year so that leaves you 13k for rent, food, books, transportation, etc... Say you are super lucky and you pay like $800 a month on rent and ALL utilities including cable, water, electricity, etc... That's $9,600 for that year. Now you're left with $3,400. Awesome. You can use that for food, books, whatever you need. That is the IDEAL situation.

I highly doubt that you will be able to make 50k while working only 20 hours a week. More than likely you'd need to work full time, and since you so casually said people can just do that ****, let's throw in an additional 20 hours of work. If you work full time then your total hours goes from 45 hours of work (NOT including classes) to 65 hours. Again, that is NOT including class time and time you spend writing papers and doing homework. Now, let's look at a PhD.

For a fully funded PhD, you will not pay tuition. You will usually get a stipend of around 20k (although I've seen it range from 12k-33k). Let's say you get the minimum stipend AND you get the tuition of the PsyD. Total that is a "salary" of about 49k per year. You will NOT have to work full time for your assistantship. It is usually 20 hours a week. If you teach it will probably be about the same (give or take depending on the amount of work the class takes). Let's add more for research since you're a PhD and not a PsyD so instead of 45 hours, you might be doing like 55? At this point you are working 10 hours less than a PsyD (minus classes and homework) for the same amount of money. Why? Because you don't need to work a full time job in order to pay for your expenses on top of the work you'd need to do in order to attain your doctorate. Minus tuition and rent as we did for the PsyD, you technically have $1,000 less for food and other expenses. This is true. However, you are also technically doing less work. And actually, if you are able to attend a fully funded doc program, it is likely your stipend will be significantly more than 12k. I will be getting 29k in my first year. That is now A LOT more in "salary" than if you were a PsyD because unless you are some kind of investment banker part time while in school, there's no way you could gain an annual salary of 66k while attending school full time. If you were able to achieve this, you are DEFINITELY an outlier.

More than likely you will be making something like 10-20k a year while working part time. Perhaps as a FFS (as I assume you'll have the credentials to do so) or, as I've often seen, as a nanny, bartender, or tutor. That average salary would then in fact put you in the hole. If you made even the top amount of 20k, that would only cover the larger half of your tuition. The other 30k in tuition, rent, and other expenses (if we assume you spend all $3,400 from previously) would be multiplied by 5 to give you $150,000 in debt. This will be money you would need to repay on a monthly basis, likely to the tune of $1,000 a month out of your salary while starting entry level. Compare that to the $0 of debt from a fully funded PhD program.

Just because there are 6 figure numbers in both options doesn't mean they are equivalent. Overall money spent may be the same to some degree, but you are doing more work for less money on top of over 100k in debt at the end for a PsyD vs $0 for a PhD.

-$150,000 <<<<<< $0 according to basically any math ever. the "<" means "suckier." Suckier is a clinical termed you can find in the DSM-V.

If OP has the means to pay that and not deal with the debt or if OP has an amazing plan that allows them to shoulder that burden, then dude. Go for it. Otherwise? There is no harm in applying next year. Others will say the program you referenced and that you went to has worse training. Lower match rates on APA. Etc... I'm not here to bash your training, bash your school, or take away from the great effort it took to be accepted into two APA accredited doctoral programs. Instead, I am here to discuss the math, which after reading this long winding chain, I had to outline for my own edification. Yes this is now a novel. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So despite quoting my most recent post your post does not appear to be factoring in the lost income that would be associated with waiting to get into a funded PhD program. If you have to wait a year to get into a funded PhD program you are losing approximately 80k of wages from taking a year long to graduate so suddenly that 150k deficit comparatively becomes a 70k deficit. If you have to wait 2 years, it erases that deficit entirely. And that's not even considering that fact that there is NO guarantee that waiting one, two, or even three years and trying to make yourself a more viable PhD candidate will actually result in offers. It can work sure, but you're kidding yourself if you don't acknowledge what a HUGE risk it is or that it doesn't have downsides. Saying "there is no harm in applying next year" is just wrong. You may still not get offers you want, and the schools you turned down may not offer you a position again. Not to mention waiting a year can delay other things like family planning. There are pros and cons to the each path. Which is the better is ultimately a personal decision that is much more complex than you are making it out to be.

I don't think anyone is advocating choosing a PsyD program straight up over a funded PhD program. I certainly am not. But that doesn't apppear to be the situation here, and it rarely is in these threads.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
APA says it is $200k so if you have to wait 2 years to get into a funded program and we assume an average annual salary for a psychologist of 80k you will have saved 40k compared to the mean by delaying your career, and in some respects your life, for 2 years.

No, you save a minimum of 40k, if you pay it all off in one lump sum right when you graduate. Which no one will. Look up the interest and amortization schedule for that 200k loan. It ain't pretty. Also, who is "delaying their lives?" There are countless people who still do all of the "life" things like getting married, having kids, or buying a house before, during, and shortly after grad school. That argument holds no water.

Look, try and convince people to make a poor life choice if you want to. Just don't lie to them about the outcomes and the numbers. The numbers and stats are there. Will some people succeed despite their program? Of course. But most will struggle. The numbers are pretty clear on that. The numbers don't lie on the finances either.

Reactions: 1 users
People don't wait until they finish school to make big life changes like having kids? I've seen numerous threads on that topic on this very forum. How are you going to have a kid when your working 60+ hours per week in your funded program? How are you going to afford child care and get a loan for a house on your stipend? The longer it takes to finish school the longer your life waits

So despite quoting my most recent post your post does not appear to be factoring in the lost income that would be associated with waiting to get into a funded PhD program. If you have to wait a year to get into a funded PhD program you are losing approximately 80k of wages from taking a year long to graduate so suddenly that 150k deficit comparatively becomes a 70k deficit. If you have to wait 2 years, it erases that deficit entirely. And that's not even considering that fact that there is NO guarantee that waiting one, two, or even three years and trying to make yourself a more viable PhD candidate will actually result in offers. It can work sure, but you're kidding yourself if you don't acknowledge what a HUGE risk it is or that it doesn't have downsides. Saying "there is no harm in applying next year" is just wrong. You may still not get offers you want, and the schools you turned down may not offer you a position again. Not to mention waiting a year can delay other things like family planning. There are pros and cons to the each path. Which is the better is ultimately a personal decision that is much more complex than you are making it out to be.

I don't think anyone is advocating choosing a PsyD program straight up over a funded PhD program. I certainly am not. But that doesn't apppear to be the situation here, and it rarely is in these threads.

If you are working full time over the course of those years, then it is actually [80k-(salary)]x(years you are waiting). If you make 30k a year working full time as an RA or whatever while reapplying then you are actually losing 50k a year. Multiply that by 2 and it's 100k. So you'd still be 50k in the hole. You would break even after 3 years.

You are definitely correct that it is a risk. Will waiting another year get you into a funded or even partially funded program? PsyD or PhD? There is no guarantee. However, depending on your age and developmental stage, I don't think there is harm in it. It is a personal choice of course. Some people would rather not wait, have the means to pay, and don't mind the debt and have a clear plan to pay it off. Others, especially those right out of undergrad, can afford to spend time building their resume, gaining more experience, and taking a year or two off to figure out what exactly they want to do with their next 7 years of training (doc program plus post doc).

If you are 21 years old, losing those two years of max salary will not be that significant over the course of 40-50 years of work. If I was 28 (and I am) and I have been working for a while and am considering going back to school, taking on that much debt in the hopes of gaining 2 extra years of 80k salary would also not be worth it to me. That is because while I have entered school earlier and skipped out on 60k in full time salary for 2 years off, I have taken on 150k in debt which I will need to pay back over the course of at least 30 years. You speak of salary like it is a lump sum that adds up over a life time of labor and evens out all debt in the end. That is not how debt works. Instead, that monthly grand in loan repayments will affect the house I buy, the mortgage I can take out, how much I can save for my child's tuition, the jobs I can afford to take in order to maintain payments, how much I can in fact save once all my bills are paid, and any number of other adult things. This all adds to a lower quality of life and added stress and anxiety. I would rather forgo that 2 extra years of salary in the end of life if that means avoiding ALL of that, especially since during those two years I would be working full time and breaking even in my day-to-day. Thus overall avoiding debt for my entire life.

People don't wait until they finish school to make big life changes like having kids? I've seen numerous threads on that topic on this very forum. How are you going to have a kid when your working 60+ hours per week in your funded program? How are you going to afford child care and get a loan for a house on your stipend? The longer it takes to finish school the longer your life waits

There were just numerous threads in which people have asked for advice about having babies during their doctoral programs. Several people then responded with their own experiences of having children during various stages of their PhD and post-doc. Others waited. Perhaps you would have rather not waited, which is fine. By the average person entering a doc program is in their early to mid 20s. They aren't really delaying much of anything by waiting 1-2 years and then doing a doc program. Most exit in their late 20s to early 30s, the average age that men and women with professional degrees marry and have children. So most people aren't actually delaying anything.....

Last edited:

Some do, many don't. Plenty of examples on here. But you know what other thing causes people to put off important life decision, massive debt. Plenty of data out there on that. All of your arguments either have double sided drawbacks, or are easily disputed by the actual numbers.

Long time lurker over here:happy:- Just wanted to take a moment to thank those of you who always provide thoughtful, detailed (and brutally honest) responses on this forum. I appreciate the content on this thread in particular SO much. I have yet to be accepted into a PhD program (after a very heartbreaking interview round this season), but I know that the wait for a fully-funded, high quality program/education/experience in future application round(s) will certainly be worth it.

Long time lurker over here:happy:- Just wanted to take a moment to thank those of you who always provide thoughtful, detailed (and brutally honest) responses on this forum. I appreciate the content on this thread in particular SO much. I have yet to be accepted into a PhD program (after a very heartbreaking interview round this season), but I know that the wait for a fully-funded, high quality program/education/experience in future application round(s) will certainly be worth it.

Hang in there! I can personally attest to how heartbreaking interviewing can be when nothing works out in the end. I got in my second time applying and some on this forum have talked about applying 3 or 4 times before getting in. Go with what's right for you! And if that means waiting, that's ok!

So what would you do if these were the only two programs who offered you admission? Because a lot of people are saying "don't attend either one" and if they are indeed the only two schools who have offered the OP placement you are essentially telling that person to give up on their current career path and not become a psychologist. I question how many of you would actually go that route if you were in this position.

:clap: I went that route! And I think most other posters did too... it's not some wild hypothetical. It's hard to get into reputable and funded Ph.D. programs the first time around. During my first application cycle I received an offer from one partially-funded Ph.D. and two unfunded Ph.D. programs, both of which I turned down to go to a funded M.A. program and reapply.

And I can say, even in a "funded" Ph.D. program (tuition remission + ~2100 / mo), I feel the financial stress like it's a boulder on my neck almost every day. It might just be me, but I don't think I could handle the stress of a doctoral program while also going into extreme debt.

So, even choosing to ignore numbers, reputation, APA match rates, etc., really try to make a budget for yourself and see what life will look like at these two programs. I lived with my parents as a commuter student as an undergraduate and my tuition was covered by federal aid, and when I was an M.A. student my tuition was covered, I had a GSR for income, and I lived with my partner so rent was much more manageable than it is now that I live alone.

I can't stress this enough, because when people always spoke about funded vs. unfunded programs, it seemed that the emphasis was on quality of education and training (which is VERY important), but so far the most salient thing for me that makes me grateful I chose to wait for a funded Ph.D. has been the financial burden of higher education.

Reactions: 3 users
I think money is a huge aspect of this....but even if money was not a factor, I would highly recommend getting into a fully funded program just because of how you will be perceived by others in the field for the REST of your career. The bias against people from pay-to-play PsyD programs is very real. I can't tell you the number of times disparaging and judgmental things have been said against people who go to to these types of programs (even if the person is competent and a good psychologist). These comments aren't made by just colleagues or strangers, either. I've heard trainees working directly under these psychologists make disparaging comments. I'm not saying these comments are necessarily right or that this behavior is okay.....but it is the state of the field right now.

IMO, if one decides to go to one of these programs, you start out behind the curve because you're frequently trying to prove to others that you are the anomaly. And....it works in both directions. I've been given the benefit of the doubt numerous times because of the reputation of the program that I came from. I too almost went to an expensive PsyD program. I also considered going to a fully funded program at a state school that wasn't well known. I'm lucky that I decided to take time off and got into an incredible program with a great reputation. That is worth its weight in gold and will pay off the rest of my career. This is something you don't appreciate until you're on the other end (which is when it would be too late to change course). For this reason alone, I would try to get into a fully funded program. The stronger the program, the better.

Just want to jump in and add another caveat to the cost differential discussion of waiting two years. Starting in 2012, graduate student loans started to accrue interest during graduate school, rather than after graduation. That makes a huge difference. Using Sallie Mae's accrued interest calculator, you can easily find that $50k borrowed for your first year's tuition would, through the magic of compound interest, become $69k 5 years later (when you're done with internship, provided you get through the program as quickly as possible). That is tuition only for your first year. A program with a high price tag is actually far more expensive that it seems at first glance. And the interest will continue to compound over the years you try to pay it back. It is not difficult to find stories of people who have more debt years after graduation due to crippling interest. Psychology is a great career, but let's not pretend it's a way to get rich.

Reactions: 4 users
Just want to jump in and add another caveat to the cost differential discussion of waiting two years. Starting in 2012, graduate student loans started to accrue interest during graduate school, rather than after graduation. That makes a huge difference. Using Sallie Mae's accrued interest calculator, you can easily find that $50k borrowed for your first year's tuition would, through the magic of compound interest, become $69k 5 years later (when you're done with internship, provided you get through the program as quickly as possible). That is tuition only for your first year. A program with a high price tag is actually far more expensive that it seems at first glance. And the interest will continue to compound over the years you try to pay it back. It is not difficult to find stories of people who have more debt years after graduation due to crippling interest. Psychology is a great career, but let's not pretend it's a way to get rich.

Yes interest is definitely a massive factor. That initial 150 will become well over 200k by the time you're finally done paying 30 years down the line.

There's some advice I've seen over in the medical forums of this site that I think applies here (maybe not): avoid going into more debt for your graduate education than you're going to make the first year of your real job.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Yes interest is definitely a massive factor. That initial 150 will become well over 200k by the time you're finally done paying 30 years down the line.
I'd further suggest that prospective borrowers look at what that debt means as far as monthly payments. I could not imagine trying to swing a $1200+ payment each month, and my salary is well above mid-career median levels for a psychologist.

I'd further suggest that prospective borrowers look at what that debt means as far as monthly payments. I could not imagine trying to swing a $1200+ payment each month, and my salary is well above mid-career median levels for a psychologist.

Yes, I enjoy things like maxing out my 401k, my personal IRA, separate investment accounts, and still having plenty left over to budget for things like a car, down payment on a house, and whatever travel and entertainment desires I have. That loan payment could be a killer.