Deciding on PCE jobs, need guidance!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eggcustardtamale

Reaction score
I just finished my undergraduate degree in plant sciences, but I want a career change. I’m afraid my field will be unfulfilling as I am largely a people person and fear that I’ll never really have an impact on others. I recently got out of a relationship with someone who was going to medical school and had never really considered that option until now (I’m also interested in talk therapy but have been put off by the low salary and the amount of people who feel demoralized by this). I have zero experience in Medicine and am trying to put together a plan to get exposure and apply to medical school.

I’m in contact with folks about financial aid outside of a degree program, as I need several prerequisites still (some of these courses overlap with the courses required for a Plant Breeding PhD, so this does not feel like time wasted if I decide this path is not for me). I’m putting together a timeline for these classes. I will be attending a volunteer orientation for my university hospital in the next two weeks. I’m putting together a shadowing list. Now onto the question of PCE/HCE.

There are very few scribe opportunities in my area. I’m in a University town, every pre-med student gobbles those opportunities up. To become an EMT I need to take two classes in succession at my local tech college, I would not be able to start until the fall as the summer class is at capacity, which means it wouldn’t be until next year that I would start accumulating PCE hours. To become a CNA, there are open spots at my local community college, so this would be the quickest option to start accumulating hours.

I’ve seen lots of mixed information about what is the best type of PCE position, so I’m struggling to bite the bullet on any of these. My interests right now are in mental health, trans health, radiology, and surgery and I’m not sure how these can translate into opportunities with the three types of positions above. I’m looking for guidance and insight on how to proceed as talking to various advisors at my university has been frustratingly slow.

Members don't see this ad.

Think about caregiving experience that you have -- watching siblings or cousins, volunteering at a summer camp, looking after an elderly relative -- it doesn't have to be in a formal capacity. Write your resume focusing on experience and skills, not jobs -- for instance, anything to do with customer service involves managing emotions and coping with stress, among other things.
I don't think there's one single best job for someone interested in medical school. I think it's about what you personally can get out of it, and not everyone is resourceful. With the interests you've already mentioned, radiology and surgery require some education (although if your local community college has a good health professions school, radiology techs and surgical techs make a decent paycheck from about a year of school). For your interests in trans-related health concerns, many communities have free LGBT-friendly sexual health clinics run by the local health department or other organizations -- what about volunteering for one locally? As far as mental health, if there's a psychiatric hospital in your town they are typically always hiring techs and often they will train you. A credential isn't always necessary (beyond CPR obviously).

Reactions: 1 user