Deciding on pharmacy after Bachelors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wind chimes

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a recent graduate of BS. Biotechnology; it is only recently that I got interested in PharmD, hence don't have any of the volunteer, shadowing experience, or pre-requisites completed. Though I think I can build volunteer experience, but my main concern is the pre-reqs for which I don't want to go back to undergrad school. However, I plan on going for a Masters in order to, firstly, add to my education, secondly, I can use the time to volunteer, and prepare for PCAT, but the pre-reqs (like Anatomy, Physiology, Public Speaking, etc) are a major concern for me, since I haven't come across a Masters program that includes these in its curriculum. Your suggestions on this please!

Members don't see this ad.

You could save lots of time and money by attending a community college to complete the pre-reqs. You will still have time to volunteer and it will be much easier to find the classes. If you are intent on getting a masters, you still can take the pre-reqs at a CC. I didn't have a problem finding classes at nights and weekends to work around my schedule. Taking the classes at a CC won't be a big deal because you have already proved that you can handle university level work.

I didn't have a problem finding classes at nights and weekends to work around my schedule. Taking the classes at a CC won't be a big deal because you have already proved that you can handle university level work.

That's true, taking the pre-reqs from community colleges would be convenient, but some PharmD programs require that pre-reqs be obtained from a 4-yr institute. If you don't mind, may I ask you of your current academic status ( whether into a pharmacy school)? If so which schools did u apply to?

Members don't see this ad :)
That's true, taking the pre-reqs from community colleges would be convenient, but some PharmD programs require that pre-reqs be obtained from a 4-yr institute. If you don't mind, may I ask you of your current academic status ( whether into a pharmacy school)? If so which schools did u apply to?

Which CoPs require the pre-requisites from a 4-year school? I know a lot of schools, especially in CA, are requiring a 4-year degree but that doesn't mean they won't accept pre-requisites from a 2-year school.

I myself finished up almost all of my pre-requisites at a 2-year school, and I applied to some of the finest schools in the country. If no school in CA has a problem with 2-year pre-requisites, why would any other school?

I got a BS many, many years ago and decided to update my pre-reqs at a CC. I have been accepted to USN and start in about a month. I had planned to apply to about five schools this cycle but I applied to USN last year because I had everything in order for them but not other schools. Once I got in, it was an easy decision to attend rather than waste a year hoping I get into my local school.

With a biotech degree don't you have a lot of the prereqs done? If you only have to take A&P, public speaking, and some non-science prereqs, I doubt schools will care too much. A lot of them are accomodating to non-traditionals because they know that it is hard for people with jobs and/or families to just pick up and attend a university for the courses when they can go to their local CC and get the same classes. If you are worried about specific schools, contact them and ask.

I myself finished up almost all of my pre-requisites at a 2-year school, and I applied to some of the finest schools in the country. If no school in CA has a problem with 2-year pre-requisites, why would any other school?
A lot of them are accomodating to non-traditionals because they know that it is hard for people with jobs and/or families to just pick up and attend a university for the courses when they can go to their local CC and get the same classes. If you are worried about specific schools, contact them and ask.
Thank you for your advices; it's true that most schools are not picky about where pre-reqs are taken, I just went through Univ of Cincinnati's admissions page that recommended these to be taken at 4-yr univ, and thought that this might be a factor in applicant evaluation. But I guess grades are what matter more, so its CC for me :thumbup:

I got a BS many, many years ago and decided to update my pre-reqs at a CC. I have been accepted to USN and start in about a month. I had planned to apply to about five schools this cycle but I applied to USN last year because I had everything in order for them but not other schools. Once I got in, it was an easy decision to attend rather than waste a year hoping I get into my local school.

Congratulations on your acceptance!