Deciding Summer Plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mreyno18

Reaction score
I have two options for this summer and I am stuck...

1. Work as a CNA (continue my hospital job) and do my college's summer research program at the connected medical school, which will allow me to join the honors research program, which allows for me to continue my research during the next year, have multiple local and national presentations, write a thesis paper, etc.
Pros: Can go to my family cabin on the weekends (family tradition we go every weekend), can do both jobs, can do some volunteering (limited due to not enough hours), can join the research program and continue throughout my senior year, already have a place to live / gym, not too hard to get into (comparatively), get to continue to work out with my teammates
Cons: No fun adventure summer in a different state (been in midwest my whole life -- want to escape), not many friends at college (worried about feeling lonely during the week)

2. Apply for pre-med internships (a handful of them around the nation) which usually include research, seminars, and some observation techniques.
Pros: The location is a more prestigious medical school that would look good on AMCAS, meet new people and make friends with the other interns, fun summer in a new city
Cons: Have to apply and that will take lots of time and effort to apply to all of them (also would have to do it very quickly, since all are due in the next 1-3 weeks), unsure if I will get the position, cannot see my family or go to my cabin, no place to live (the pay will probably all go to renting a place or living on campus), cannot continue my CNA job

I'm not sure which one to do and would love any advice that you guys would give me!

Members don't see this ad.

First choice looks better, assuming CNA counts as clinical experience. Because of COVID, many applicants will lack clinical experience, so having as many clinical hours as possible will be more advantageous than your research internship.

Reactions: 1 users
If you want to go to med school, #1 seems like the way to go. #2 has no certainty to it. Even if it did, #1 looks better. Clinical experience is crucial.

Members don't see this ad :)
I vote #1. CNA is great clinical experience, and option 1 seems like it has a good balance of activities. Not to mention, the advantages you listed for #2 of "fun summer in a new city" and "meeting new people" seems a bit unlikely given COVID.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
2 sounds like "pay your way" into medical school. I'd pick 1