Deciding where to attend question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sneakerblues21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! So after searching through many threads I've found that most people use cost and location for picking which dental school to attend. I was wondering if these things were appropriate reasons to mention in an essay/interview? Surely cost would be one of my biggest deciding factors but for an essay is it better to talk about the "culture" of the area and curriculum? I hope I'm not over thinking this but I'm trying to figure out how to properly talk about this stuff in an essay without sounding too "superficial".

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys! So after searching through many threads I've found that most people use cost and location for picking which dental school to attend. I was wondering if these things were appropriate reasons to mention in an essay/interview? Surely cost would be one of my biggest deciding factors but for an essay is it better to talk about the "culture" of the area and curriculum? I hope I'm not over thinking this but I'm trying to figure out how to properly talk about this stuff in an essay without sounding too "superficial".

They are solid reasons in real life but should be pretty low on the priority list of why you want to attend a school...at least on secondariness and interviews. Mention them if you want, but you need a lot of substance beyond that. A good way to bomb an interview is to start the 'why this school' question with 'location' or 'weather'. They want to be flattered. Where they happen to set up shop or what the price tag is aren't the best complements. Focus on the program itself.

Don't ever mention it unless they either bring it up and ask how you plan on paying for their school or if your in-state school asks you why you want to attend their school. In the latter, it's okay to use a euphemism by saying something along the lines of "It's my state-school" which hints at in-state residency, in-state tuition, affordable tuition, close proximity to family, and lower debt. You don't want to appear as a someone who is cheap and is willing to skimp out on education. Definitely point out the obvious clinical strengths, didactic/research (explain the minutiae of each program or activity), and if they lack in any one area, possibly acknowledge it but note how the school makes up for it or how it has addressed it. This takes some digging on your part but I think it shows that you're being honest and have done your homework. This is purely anecdotal and it is what I did at the interview. The only reason I'm repeating it to you is because it worked out fine for me.

For the secondaries, I did mention the culture of the student body/school. I would keep costs out of the secondaries. I think jeffity got it right about trying to make the school feel flattered like "Oh really, you think our school is [this] or [that]." I don't want to say it's being manipulative but you're currying their favor so they can feel like they can bank on you accepting their offer in case they send it to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Schools that are expensive know that they are expensive. They also know that everyone else knows that they're expensive. The same is true for state schools so I don't think it's worth mentioning because costs are considered by everybody. No school really aims to be the most affordable school possible. Look at the school's mission statement and how they like to or want to view themselves through "advertisements" on their website. Hopefully, you share their same values and goals (Don't lie! If you're thinking of lying, you're applying to the wrong school).

Hmm so here's my situation. I'm applying to 3 schools in California because I'm looking to relocate there. Significant other is there. I'm from the east coast and have a really good in state school and am applying to other schools on the east coast as well. Dental schools can see where you apply and I really don't want the Cali ones to just rule me out because I'm an east coaster who's applied to a bunch of east coast schools and they think I will probably just attend my state school or whatever. I want them to know I'm seriously looking to move to Cali and they are one of my top choices. How would I explain this? Or should I just not?

Hmm so here's my situation. I'm applying to 3 schools in California because I'm looking to relocate there. Significant other is there. I'm from the east coast and have a really good in state school and am applying to other schools on the east coast as well. Dental schools can see where you apply and I really don't want the Cali ones to just rule me out because I'm an east coaster who's applied to a bunch of east coast schools and they think I will probably just attend my state school or whatever. I want them to know I'm seriously looking to move to Cali and they are one of my top choices. How would I explain this? Or should I just not?

dental schools can not see where else you've applied. Unless they required you to list it somewhere on the secondary (UNLV). And I've never heard of anyone being ruled out based on location. If you are an overall appealing prospect, you should get interviews. As mentioned above, you SHOULD NOT being trying to express your seriousness in changing coasts, you SHOULD BE trying to express the excitement and interest you have in each schools particular program.

dental schools can not see where else you've applied. Unless they required you to list it somewhere on the secondary (UNLV). And I've never heard of anyone being ruled out based on location. If you are an overall appealing prospect, you should get interviews. As mentioned above, you SHOULD NOT being trying to express your seriousness in changing coasts, you SHOULD BE trying to express the excitement and interest you have in each schools particular program.

Alrighty, will do! Thanks so much!

Those are all points relating to what you want. But you have to consider what dental schools want and what's in their best interest. Will you contribute to a study body that they're looking for? Do you have goals and interests that are shared by that particular school and will your acting out those goals and interests mutually progress the school's mission?

By the way, a large percentage of people want to practice in CA. Who wouldn't? It has beautiful weather, pretty beaches, and awesome food. So that's not a very good selling point for you because it's shared by many people and it is quite self-serving. Saturation in CA is evidence to this.

The reason I want to be in California isn't for the weather or beaches or whatever. It's because my fiancé is there. If he were in Kansas, I'd wanna be there. Ill obviously talk about what I love about the school, the student body, what I would contribute. I was asking if in addition to that, I should mention how serious I am about relocating to California for family reasons and if accepted I would definitely make the move. Judging by your guys' opinions, it looks like its best to leave it out.

If you speak about your significant other it shows weakness.