Deciding which path to take...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wickl087

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone - so I have been interested in going to med school for a very long time, but a semester in Spain made me doubt choosing to go to med school. While I was there I absolutely loved thinking and speaking in Spanish and learning about other European cultures and politics. I couldn't lose all of those experiences by sticking to just medicine...

My problem is that now that the semester is nearly half over, and I'm getting used to University life in the States again, I'm strongly considering putting the prereqs back into my schedule so I can take the MCAT and apply.

Here's my question: Right now I am on track to graduate with a double major in Spanish and Global Studies. Should I just graduate next year with these majors and then take the other prereqs that I need after graduation? Or should I cut out the GS major, just majoring in Spanish, and squeeze in some of the science courses while I'm still an undergraduate then finish up the others after I graduate next year?

Money is kind of an issue for me so graduating with just Spanish and getting in some more prereqs before I graduate would be ideal because I would have more financial aid to cover it.

Honestly, would just having the single Spanish major look alright for med schools? I have a lot of international experience and volunteering, but I would have a lot of coursework on my transcript and very little to show for it academically.

Sorry for the long post, but any advice would help a ton!

Members don't see this ad.

I did global studies to in college!
super duper awesome.
However, I had to decide if i wanted to double major in it or just minor in it. In the end, I got my degree and left. It wasn't worth it.

Hey everyone - so I have been interested in going to med school for a very long time, but a semester in Spain made me doubt choosing to go to med school. While I was there I absolutely loved thinking and speaking in Spanish and learning about other European cultures and politics. I couldn't lose all of those experiences by sticking to just medicine...

My problem is that now that the semester is nearly half over, and I'm getting used to University life in the States again, I'm strongly considering putting the prereqs back into my schedule so I can take the MCAT and apply.

Here's my question: Right now I am on track to graduate with a double major in Spanish and Global Studies. Should I just graduate next year with these majors and then take the other prereqs that I need after graduation? Or should I cut out the GS major, just majoring in Spanish, and squeeze in some of the science courses while I'm still an undergraduate then finish up the others after I graduate next year?

Money is kind of an issue for me so graduating with just Spanish and getting in some more prereqs before I graduate would be ideal because I would have more financial aid to cover it.

Honestly, would just having the single Spanish major look alright for med schools? I have a lot of international experience and volunteering, but I would have a lot of coursework on my transcript and very little to show for it academically.

Sorry for the long post, but any advice would help a ton!