Deciphering In-State vs OOS Matriculant Statistics (GPA, MCAT, etc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zoopeda

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Like most premed students, I live in a state with a publicly funded state medical school that offers admissions preference to in-state applicants. Looking at the MSAR school stats is helpful to learn overall acceptance rates and the average stats of all applicants, but it would be helpful to see the breakdown of stats between IS vs OOS applicants (especially since state schools offer varying degrees of resident preference). I'm specifically in Oregon, looking at OHSU. The school website mentions 70% of last year's matriculants were OR residents, so there must be some disparity between IS and OOS application stats. Any help is appreciated...

Members don't see this ad.

it is published somewhere on the internets but I'm having trouble finding them for you

Members don't see this ad :)
Like most premed students, I live in a state with a publicly funded state medical school that offers admissions preference to in-state applicants. Looking at the MSAR school stats is helpful to learn overall acceptance rates and the average stats of all applicants, but it would be helpful to see the breakdown of stats between IS vs OOS applicants (especially since state schools offer varying degrees of resident preference). I'm specifically in Oregon, looking at OHSU. The school website mentions 70% of last year's matriculants were OR residents, so there must be some disparity between IS and OOS application stats. Any help is appreciated...

When I interviewed at OHSU, the Oregon residents were on similar ground with us OOSers, although since the average MCAT there is a 31 and they rarely take OOS with <32 MCAT, they must take at least some low MCAT ISers. Overall, though, OHSU is a very competitive school. If your MCAT is <30 or GPA <3.5, I probably wouldn't count on an interview from what I saw at my interview there.

When I interviewed at OHSU, the Oregon residents were on similar ground with us OOSers, although since the average MCAT there is a 31 and they rarely take OOS with <32 MCAT, they must take at least some low MCAT ISers. Overall, though, OHSU is a very competitive school. If your MCAT is <30 or GPA <3.5, I probably wouldn't count on an interview from what I saw at my interview there.

I talked to an admissions person at OHSU, and they claimed that numbers such as GPA and MCAT score are generally most important in determining the first round of cuts (who to give interviews to) and that once an applicant is sitting in an interview, the interview, personal statement, and other character traits become 80% important (and numbers drop to 20%). In other words, according to the admissions rep, once in an interview, the "playing field" is radically flattened for applicants of all academic backgrounds. She did not, however, have statistics broken down into IS vs OOS acceptance...

I talked to an admissions person at OHSU, and they claimed that numbers such as GPA and MCAT score are generally most important in determining the first round of cuts (who to give interviews to) and that once an applicant is sitting in an interview, the interview, personal statement, and other character traits become 80% important (and numbers drop to 20%). In other words, according to the admissions rep, once in an interview, the "playing field" is radically flattened for applicants of all academic backgrounds. She did not, however, have statistics broken down into IS vs OOS acceptance...

Per my interview day, the final (post-interview) decision is made by a formula that assigns a numeric score. That score is made up of:

20% Academics (MCAT & GPA)
40% MMI scores (averaged)
40% Adcom's score based upon presentation of applicant by interviewer