Decision Advice - Tufts vs. Rutgers vs. NYU DPT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wam20

Reaction score
Hi! I'm seeking some advice regarding which DPT program to choose. I'm blessed to have a choice, but I'm having a hard time deciding. Here's some info to compare:

Tufts - new pre-accredited program, 2-yr hybrid, starts Jan 2021, tuition is ~$127,000, class size 100
Rutgers Newark - 3 years, starts July 2021, tuition is ~$97,000, class size 65
NYU - 39 months, starts June 2021, tuition is ~$155,000, class size 40

I'm an older student (career change) so the option to start sooner and get done faster to start making a salary or do a residency is very appealing. Tufts - I have the option to live at home and save money as well. I'm confident they will receive their accreditation but I'm sure there will be kinks to work out. From what I hear, the faculty are top notch but I am concerned about class size and not being able to study with classmates in person as much as I'd like. I did feel really comfortable with the staff.

Rutgers and NYU are pretty reputable programs with a ton of clinical connections. I was blown away by the NYU program but the tuition is a bit scary. Any advice? Any insight on the Rutgers and NYU programs would be helpful as well. People have told me that rankings don't matter and to go the cheapest route as long as it's a good program. That being said, Tufts would actually be my cheapest option because I end up saving money in the long run.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you, yourself have narrowed it down to Tufts and Rutgers then. With that being said, you want to start ASAP, so I think you would want Tufts from what you have told us.

I think you, yourself have narrowed it down to Tufts and Rutgers then. With that being said, you want to start ASAP, so I think you would want Tufts from what you have told us.
Thank you for your reply. I guess I am curious if people think that is a risk or worth it!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also going back for my DPT after a career change and shorter programs are something that have a lot of weight for me as well-- I'm definitely itching to get going and also to have an income sooner. If I'm in a similar situation with decisions, I'm anticipating justifying a more expensive but shorter program as saying I'll make that difference of tuition by working that extra year, if that makes sense! I think also a program is truly what you make it, so if you have a good feeling about it and it gets you done sooner that's fantastic. I think cohorts are going to try their best to get people engaged with each other during the asynchronous learning and with the on campus immersions I know TUFTS has, it might be able to make up for the difference! Also, a small consideration, but COVID certainly might still have an impact early spring in terms of spending time with your classmates outside of school, and we're all accustomed to digital friendships these days, so I'm sure it wouldn't be too awful to study over zoom with an online cohort! All of that to say, I don't think you can truly go wrong, as long as you feel comfortable learning primarily remote I say follow your gut!!

Reactions: 1 user
I am also going back for my DPT after a career change and shorter programs are something that have a lot of weight for me as well-- I'm definitely itching to get going and also to have an income sooner. If I'm in a similar situation with decisions, I'm anticipating justifying a more expensive but shorter program as saying I'll make that difference of tuition by working that extra year, if that makes sense! I think also a program is truly what you make it, so if you have a good feeling about it and it gets you done sooner that's fantastic. I think cohorts are going to try their best to get people engaged with each other during the asynchronous learning and with the on campus immersions I know TUFTS has, it might be able to make up for the difference! Also, a small consideration, but COVID certainly might still have an impact early spring in terms of spending time with your classmates outside of school, and we're all accustomed to digital friendships these days, so I'm sure it wouldn't be too awful to study over zoom with an online cohort! All of that to say, I don't think you can truly go wrong, as long as you feel comfortable learning primarily remote I say follow your gut!!
It's nice to connect with someone doing a career change. I'm glad you can relate. I'm assuming you have applied to some of the hybrid/accelerated programs as well?

What you have stated absolutely makes sense. Most of my PT friends were shocked to learn of these hybrid/accelerated programs, so they were influencing me to take my time and opt for the traditional programs. They felt it wasn't worth the risk of too many unknowns. As you mentioned, Covid-19 has had an impact on the traditional programs and could still have an impact come spring/summer. I think we will see more hybrid learning in the future because of it. Thank you for your thoughts! I appreciate it.

It's nice to connect with someone doing a career change. I'm glad you can relate. I'm assuming you have applied to some of the hybrid/accelerated programs as well?

What you have stated absolutely makes sense. Most of my PT friends were shocked to learn of these hybrid/accelerated programs, so they were influencing me to take my time and opt for the traditional programs. They felt it wasn't worth the risk of too many unknowns. As you mentioned, Covid-19 has had an impact on the traditional programs and could still have an impact come spring/summer. I think we will see more hybrid learning in the future because of it. Thank you for your thoughts! I appreciate it.
Absolutely! I have applied to one program that is hybrid (if Tufts were a spring/ fall 2021 start I would have done theirs as well), but the rest are traditional structures, mostly 3 years, and a couple of 2/ 2.5 years. I'm currently leaning towards a shorter, in person program, but that could totally change.

I think at the end of the day, a DPT is a DPT, and the way about getting it won't necessarily be a difference in terms of getting a job. I think a lot of people are hesitant of hybrid learning because they want to learn it consistently hands on to feel more prepared in clinical settings, but I think if you're applying yourself and connecting with faculty you can learn just as much asynchronous! I will say it is definitely scary to start a newer program that's a hybrid as they don't have the data to suggest their students still performed well on the licensure exam, but again, I think that is a small consideration and signing up for a hybrid means you sign up for the added responsibility! I think if you feel comfortable with the responsibility and feel that the program will support you, it's a great choice! It's also hybrid and not all online, that's a huge difference!