flyingbridge

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2005
Status
Hi all,

Is anyone else running into this? Every time I tewll someone about my decision to pursue medicine, I get a "Are you sure you wanna do that, you should do something else..." response. I mean, it's not like I am talking about joining a mercenary army someplace. Don't folks realize that unless there are more drs. produced they will have no one to treat them in their informities or do other socially vital things? Heck you'd think people would be tripping over themselves to encourage others to become drs.! The more there are the better off we all are.

Anyway, thanks for reading my rant. I was just wondering, if you are getting the same kind of response, just say so. Just want to check to see if I am alone here in the universe as far as this goes.

Thanks!

Sundarban1

Devil in disguise
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2004
MA
Status
Medical Student
When I attended the information session at Harvard for their extension program, Dr. Fixen, the head of the program, said that you (meaning potential students) are not ready to enter medicine until you've been talked out of it by at least 3 doctors. Evidently motivation is key to longevity in the field, and they hate to see people make such a long commitment (quitting other jobs, loans, moving, etc.) without having thought through what they are getting into. This is probably good for you, and if you can say you still want to do this after being questioned so much, your probably on the right path.

:luck: Good Luck

AmyGW

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2005
Status
I totally know what you are talking about and can definitely relate. I was kind of private about my decision to pursue a career in medicine, and once I finally started telling people, I kept getting the whole "Oh my god, insurance is going to kill you - you'll be so poor" and "it's SUCH a hard career - I hope you know that." As if I don't know that? I have never gone into any situation in my entire life with my eyes closed - why would I start now? I am starting to rant myself, so I'll shut up now! :)

Regardless, all the opposition has only made my resolve stronger.

In short, I DEFINITELY understand where you are coming from.

liverotcod

Lieutenant Crunch
15+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
Sundarban1 said:
When I attended the information session at Harvard for their extension program, Dr. Fixen, the head of the program, said that you (meaning potential students) are not ready to enter medicine until you've been talked out of it by at least 3 doctors. Evidently motivation is key to longevity in the field, and they hate to see people make such a long commitment (quitting other jobs, loans, moving, etc.) without having thought through what they are getting into. This is probably good for you, and if you can say you still want to do this after being questioned so much, your probably on the right path.

:luck: Good Luck
That's a great story :) . Thanks for sharing! :thumbup: