This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lemonyticket

Reaction score
Hey SDN! New member here, and thank you in advance for taking the time to read my post.

I attended art school for my undergrad education and graduated in 2020. I started work as an illustrator straight out of college, and have been working ever since. Lately, I have been heavily considering switching careers to medicine, but seeing as I took art classes exclusively and graduated with a BFA & a 3.8 GPA, I wanted to ask what the best course/s of action would be to facilitate a switch.

My living situation would make it quite difficult to attend any schools out of state (I own a home in TX with my husband), or maybe even schools that are a couple hours' drive from the DFW area, i.e. UT Austin.

I've been looking through different post-bac programs at schools like Baylor, UNT, and UTD. I know that I have to take pre-med requisite courses and take the MCAT before applying to med school, but the post-bac programs I've been researching seem to imply that I should already be taking those courses, which hasn't been possible since I've been out of college for 3 years. In any case, there's a lot of information around which I'm unsure whether it pertains to me or am understanding it correctly.

-Is a career in medicine for someone like me even remotely possible?
-Pros/cons about my situation?
-What should I be doing right now to better my chances of applying? I know about volunteering/shadowing, but do they even consider non-trad people like me to do those things?
-Steps on what I should do next in general?

I don't completely doubt that it's too late but would love to hear from anyone who has been in a similar place. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)