Decisions Decisions Decisions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Paul Stravinsky

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if you guys thought it would be better to graduate from my undergrad in 4 years with one major in chemistry and a minor english or to stay an extra year in school and get a double major before applying to med school. Thanks for the input guys!

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on how much you want to have a major in English. If you're asking how much medical schools will care? I doubt very much, I'm sure they'll care more about other pieces of your application than whether you got a 4 year minor or a 5 year major out of English.

Just decide what YOU want, and go from there.

double majors are worthless. Do it if you want to feel good about yourself but that is it.

My double major (or near one technically) is really worth squat now.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering if you guys thought it would be better to graduate from my undergrad in 4 years with one major in chemistry and a minor english or to stay an extra year in school and get a double major before applying to med school. Thanks for the input guys!

In the end you will have one bachelor's degree, will have spent another $10,000 to $30,000 in school fees, will have a minimal improvement in your application, will probably face more competition for medical school next year, and will have one less year working as a doctor. The opportunity cost is probably over $200,000.

If that extra major is worth $200,000 and one year of your life, then go for it.

If your main goal is to go to med school and not do much with those degrees, I don't think you should double major

:thumbup: Agree with the above. A double-major is not going to significantly affect your chances one way or another with regard to medical school, and it costs quite a bit.

Assuming you can live without it, the 'better' decision would be not to spend an extra year to double-major.

yea if it costs you, avoid it. if college was free though, i would stay forever