Decisions, decisions.....UMich vs. Vandy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey, take your time. i'll take either one on a day's notice.

Members don't see this ad.

Ann Arbor is a ***** (can you feel the rivalry)....but besisdes that, I think the location in Mich would be better. Its one of the better campuses/ college towns out there.

Most faculty I know say that if you walk into any top 10 hospital/medical school/medical centers, you won't really be able to tell the difference. Beyond that they said differences begin to become apparent. Based on my visiting places, I would tend to agree. What that means for Vanderbilt, I'll leave up to you to figure out. You could advocate that Vandy is an anomoly. I've heard from students Baylor (as part of the huge medical center) and Cornell (with all its affiliations) are great, while Yale's hospital leaves something to be desired.

What does that all mean? I don't know.

Members don't see this ad :)
SunnyS81 said:
Most faculty I know say that if you walk into any top 10 hospital/medical school/medical centers, you won't really be able to tell the difference. Beyond that they said differences begin to become apparent. Based on my visiting places, I would tend to agree. What that means for Vanderbilt, I'll leave up to you to figure out. You could advocate that Vandy is an anomoly. I've heard from students Baylor (as part of the huge medical center) and Cornell (with all its affiliations) are great, while Yale's hospital leaves something to be desired.

What does that all mean? I don't know.

Both are good schools. It's a pointless debate.

congratulations on the acceptances!! good luck with your decision. :clap:

It sounds like you're going to make the wisest decision for yourself. I totally agree with you that the difference in prestige between Vandy and UMich, US News rankings notwithstanding, is negligible. The education at both institutions is first-rate and the opportunities for individuals who excel are golden.

The only other difference I can think of is the issue of departmental strengths. Michigan's clinical departments are among the strongest in the country, which means that matching at home base is a really good thing. If you're really interested in surgery, I think you should go to Michigan.

You can't go wrong here, my friend. You've thoroughly researched the issue. Go where you think you'll be happiest.

Hope to see you in Ann Arbor and good luck in your future endeavors.

Hi, I really don't know much about Vandy, but I have a lot of friends that go to Michigan and love it! They think the training is wonderful and I really have heard wonderful things about the med school. :) You have a tough decision to make, but if it were me, it would be Michigan based on rave reviews. :) good luck! :)

vandy...im currently entering my senior year here and it is awesome...and dont worry our football team is slowly but surely improving...