Decisions, decisions...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

texanrani

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I got accepted to multiple MPH programs (for Spring 2017 admission), and now I've got to start making decisions. My areas of interest are women's health, reproductive health/justice, healthcare & resource accessibility for women/other minority groups, adolescent sexual education...stuff along those lines. I'm not sure at this point if I want to focus more on health policy OR community/health implementation, so I've applied to a mix of focus areas depending on what each school had.

U. Pittsburgh - Maternal Child Health
U. South Florida - Maternal Child Health (&Epidemiology)
LSU - Health Management & Policy
Tulane - Maternal Child Health

[I haven't heard back from UTSPH-Houston (Community Health) yet.]

From a financial POV, UTSPH in Houston is my TOP choice (low, in-state fees are really attractive), with LSU as the second least expensive school (even with cost of living). Tulane and Pittsburgh have the highest tuition (and there's also cost of living to consider).

I know the best deciding factor is to visit these schools but I'm extremely busy this semester and can probably only visit 1 or 2. Also, because my parents are funding my education, they do get a bit say in where I go (and they'd prefer if I chose something more economical, understandably). I actually loved the people I've talked to (via phone and email) at both Pittsburgh (I got SUCH great vibes) and Tulane, but is it worth the money (+$60k-70k for the whole program) to go to one of these programs over others (if Houston does not work out)???? I know monetary ROI isn't that much when it comes to public health, but I really want to go somewhere that has good networking and potential connections.

Obviously I know it all comes down to how I feel (and IF I am accepted to UTSPH, I will definitely go there), but if anyone has any advice I'd love to hear it!! (Also, if there was a specific thread that deals with these questions, sorry for not posting there!)

Members don't see this ad.