Decisions, I need help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

michii

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I need help deciding on a grad school. I got into 6 Au.D programs (Nebraska, Northwestern, U of I, Purdue, IU, NIU). I was wait listed at Colorado boulder (didn't wanna really go here anyways) and Wash U in St. Louis.

Tuition, curriculum, faculty/students, location are my factors.

I believe I have narrowed it down to 3 schools.

1.) Northern Illinois University- Pro: cheapest option by far. In-state, 1st year tuition waver as well, possibly can get a GA the other years, and not tuition 4th year. Also, new clinic, small class size.
-Con: Not a great location. Lowest ranked program on list.

2.) University of Illinois- Pro: In-state tuition. May get funding through a GA. Middle rank, Good cochlear implant curriculum and connections (something I wish to pursue).
Con- Don't know a whole lot about this school/program

3.) Purdue- Pro: Have a TA for (only) a semester with a professor I love (my undergrad). May get a tutoring GA but still waiting to hear from someone. Love professors. High rank.
Con: Difficult program from what I hear, out of state tuition.

Tuition wise-- NIU is the smart choice. But NIU bothers me and that it doesn't look like they have a cochlear implant class but curriculum looks less stressful overall. Rank wise, Purdue, U of I seems like a solid middle choice but I feel tied to Purdue somehow.

Opinions??

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats! Personally, I think you should go where you feel most comfortable but it should also be a challenge. In state tuition is definitely tempting, but you can receive in state tuition after your first year at the school. If you're going to spend all this time and money to get a degree, it would make sense to have the best. My vote is for Purdue if that's where your heart is.

Be careful and do your research. Some schools are really tough to get in state tuition, even after being there for a year. For example the university of Iowa usually does not grant in state after one year. You also have to prove you have other reasons for being there, such as family and jobs etc. You should definitely not let that be your only deciding factor, but just be careful and make sure you look into the requirements...also, some places it's the state that regulates the requirements, not the schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey michii,

I am currently in my first year at Northern Illinois University. So far, everything is going well.

It seems like you may have visited the campus. As you posted, the clinic is extremely nice. It played a major factor of why I decided to attend NIU. Also, the clinic is about a 10-15 minute drive from the actual campus, which is something I personally like. It feels more professional in my opinion. Although DeKalb/Sycamore may not be the most exciting cities in the world, it is only about an hour drive from Chicago (as you probably know).

When I was in your position last year, I was not overly concerned about rankings. The job placement for Audiology programs in is very high.

Depending on how interested you are with cochlear implants, that would be a concern if you chose to come to NIU. I don't believe any of the faculty/supervisors are doing research on CIs. Also, you are correct, it is not on the curriculum.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I would be happy to answer them.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
I also got into Purdue but one of the turn-offs for me was the seemingly lack of interaction with cochlear implants until your 3rd or 4th year. Since you go to Purdue now, I am sure you already know that there are no CI surgeons in Lafayette. When I visited, they basically told me that I would not be seeing an CI users in the Purdue clinic. Since this seems to be something you are interested, I would definitely take that into account! Good luck on your decision, we all know its not easy!

Yes, I have taken Purdue out of the equation. It is a wonderful program, but I feel like trying something new. If money was not an issue, I would choose the University of Illinois. I think I will choose them but was disappointed I did not receive any funding from them even after I called to express my concern back in March. I spoke to people in their Au.D program and it seemed most students had funding or got it eventually, but this somewhat offended me since I was not in the majority that received funding lol and feel I am a strong applicant. Although, if they simply went off GPA, my GPA was a bit low (3.69 when I applied, 3.71 when I graduated in December) due to me being in Pharmacy at Purdue my freshman year.