SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Decline and Reapply?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by rimma, Jan 15, 2001.

  1. rimma

    rimma New Member

    2
    0
    Jan 13, 2001
    I was recently accepted at LECOM, however my first choice is Penn State, where I am on hold for an interview. My stats: science GPA 3.72; overall GPA 3.79; April '00 MCAT 8V, 7P, 8B, LW; Aug. MCAT 5V, 8P, 10B, OW. Extracurricular activities and experience are good. I am trying to decide whether to decline LECOM and then reapply if I do not get into Penn State. I just don't want to go through the application process again if I don't have a good chance at Penn State.
     
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Well, IMHO you would be making an awful mistake. I don't know Penn State's euphimisms, but "on hold for interview" may = no interview for you. If you decline LECOM's offer there is NO guarantee that they will offer the same next year or that you will get an interview and subsequent offer from Penn State, this year or next.

    IMHO you *must* accept LECOM's offer and if Penn State makes an offer then you can decline LECOM; to do so now is virtual suicide. I know Penn State is a wonderful school (I am literally wearing a Penn State sweatshirt as I type this) but you will get a fine education at LECOM as well. Please don't turn down their offer on the hope of an interview at Penn. I don't know the average numbers for admission at Penn but am willing to bet that your MCAT scores are on the low side, especially the VR and W - which contrary to popular opinion ARE important.

    Hope this helps.

    PS: Why don't you call Penn's admission office and sweetly tell them that they are your first choice but that you've been offered a position elsewhere and you are wondering about the status of your application. It may speed things up - and that way you'll know whether you had much of a chance at PSU.

    [This message has been edited by kimberlicox (edited 01-15-2001).]

    [This message has been edited by kimberlicox (edited 01-15-2001).]
     
  4. ana

    ana

    Kimma, I agree absolutely with kimberlicox above.

    It is possible to accept a position and then withdraw later on when you have been accepted at Penn State. I am assuming the reason you want to decline LECOM is because you do not want to pay the fee to hold your position (I know they can be pretty stiff @ DO schools -- mine was $2000 at ACOM) or you have changed your mind about getting a DO. Do not throw this acceptance away -- DO schools have long memories they do communicate with one another. It is possible you will never be able to succesfully apply to another DO program if you do not accept.

    I really hope you get into Penn since it is your first choice. I hate to give disappointing advice to anyone, but I have to point out that your numbers are low for Penn acceptees. Your GPA is on par with those accepted at that school (3.67), but your MCATs are not (V 9.1, P 9.55, B 10.1). It is possible you still have a strong chance if you are an underrepresented minority or have other special qualifications/contacts. If these things are not true for your, your chances are not that good.

    If you really feel you must be at Penn State, then you should accept at LECOM, find a compelling reason to defer that is true and documentable, and then reapply to Penn State. This is tricky -- LECOM will have to agree (and you cannot tell them you are applying elsewhere), and deferments are not that easy to get. Usually, they are for emergencies that come up at the last minute.

    I hope I am wrong. But IMHO you would be doing yourself a favor by accepting LECOM's offer. Personally, I would not bother with reapplying.

    Also, advice about calling Penn and letting them know they are #1 in your book is a good idea.

    Best of luck.
     
  5. zorro21

    zorro21 Senior Member 10+ Year Member

    163
    0
    Oct 3, 2000
    do you want to be a physician? if your answer to this question is yes, then your priorities should be: 1. get accepted to medical school and then 2. go to the school of your choice.
    i would accept LECOMs offer and hope for penn state if that is where you want to go. if you do not get accpeted to penn state and you turn LECOM, you will be screwed. you will have to reapply, and there is no guarantee that you will get accepted to either one of the schools.
    you have been accepted to medical school. accept the offer and hope for penn state. if you dont get in to penn state, you can still always go to LECOM and still graduate as a physician.....
     

Share This Page