Declining acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunkiki486

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question -- I have recently gotten accepted at my first choice and so my next step is to contact the other school to tell them that I won't be attending their school in the fall. Is it better to call or write a letter? Either way, are people usually straightforward and just tell them that you have gotten accepted elsewhere and would like to give up your spot? Is it ever "too late" to tell a school that you won't be attending there?? I want to do it ASAP since I know there are people on the waiting list...

For me, personally, I think I'd rather write a letter, since it's more formal... But either way, what should I say?? I'm taking that many of you have done this before.. so any comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

it's never too late to tell them. i would call or email them so that the school can accept someone on the wait list right away.

I called when I declined acceptance. After all, you're not going there, you'll probably never see them again... No biggie

Members don't see this ad :)
I would recommend a letter. A letter will make sure that your change is noted and allow someone else to get your spot right away. And, you never know who you might run in to from that school, especially if it happens to be nearby. It would be best to state that although you appreciate their gracious offer of admission, you have been accepted at UW and have decided that institution is the best fit for you. ....Then finish the letter with something like "COugeRs sUCk" (or whatever their mascot is) pasted in magazine type. You have to be firm. This also has the additional benefit of making them really glad you decided to go elsewhere. :laugh:

Thanks, everyone!

I typed up a letter last night and will mail it on Monday. And I'll call again on Wed/Thurs to double-check that they have received the letter to withdraw my acceptance.

Now I have another question... how does the admission comittee know that the person writing the letter is actually you?? What if somebody who really really hates you write a letter to the school that you want to attend and say that you actually wanna go elsewhere?? How do they verify that it's you?? :confused:

Either they will call you, or they will send you an email. I emailed one of the school and then I received a letter saying thank you for your interest in our school etcetc, and other applicant has been offered your position.

By the way I think letter with your signature is a strong formality. If anyone ever fake it, it's a crime then.

I would most definetly give them a call for two reasons. One, it is a good skill to have to be able to confront people and tell them what you honestly want. Two, I'm sure that some people are waiting to get into a pharmacy school, and there is no sense in beating around the bush. You will probably speak with someone in admissions who does not really care about their job anyway, let alone the applicants to the pharmD program. I'm sure they are not going to cry about taking you off their list.