Declining an MD Acceptance and Reapplying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TiredAndConfused123

Reaction score
I am a current applicant with one acceptance to California Northstate University. I was aware of the school's issues when I chose to apply and interview, but I went through with it knowing that the LCME was due to update CNU's' accreditation status during the course of the cycle (as the two year probationary period came to an end). If CNU achieved full accreditation, I would have been happy to attend. However, it seems that the LCME has recently decided to extend CNU's 'provisional, on probation' status for one more year, leaving them subject to withdrawal of accreditation again at this time next year. With this news in mind, I am considering declining my acceptance to CNU and reapplying this coming cycle.

If I opt to withdraw and apply again, would AMCAS notify schools that I had previously been accepted to an MD school, and if so, is this something I should directly address in my primary application? I understand that declining an MD acceptance is generally very ill-advised, and I would not have even thought to do so under any other circumstances. Any general thoughts/guidance about my situation would also be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
I don’t know if AMCAS themselves would notify schools but you’d have to say you’ve previously applied/been accepted to a school in the new application which would be a pretty big red flag for most schools bc they’re gonna scrutinize why you declined the A originally, if you go that route make sure you have an extremely good and well thought out plan to explain this situation in future interviews

Reactions: 1 users
What makes you think you will be more successful than this cycle, which presumably resulted in 1 acceptance, when you apply with the stigma of being a reapplicant?

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
CNUs match list still been very good depsite the accrediation issue. They also have a teach out policy for all students in the event the school shuts down I believe. Id probably go to CNU over the headache of reapplying. I also don't have all the facts tho just my opinion

Reactions: 2 users
My understanding is that schools who get shut down like that are forced to pay for their students to transfer (we had some med students at my med school a few years ago in that situation).

Make sure you confirm that, but if you get that confirmed, I'd take the MD acceptance

Reactions: 1 users
CNUs match list still been very good depsite the accrediation issue. They also have a teach out policy for all students in the event the school shuts down I believe. Id probably go to CNU over the headache of reapplying. I also don't have all the facts tho just my opinion
Thank you for your thoughts! I am aware of the teach out policy and have read that 'students would have all the rights and privileges of students in medical education programs at LCME-accredited medical schools if a medical education program was to lose LCME accreditation'. However, I worry that a loss of accreditation could still affect their students' prospects of matching successfully. I read on another thread that medical school accreditation status is a factor that many program directors (> 40%) consider.

What makes you think you will be more successful than this cycle, which presumably resulted in 1 acceptance, when you apply with the stigma of being a reapplicant?
If you are interested, I would be more than happy to private message you with specific ways in which my application would be improved. However, as you are alluding to, there would be considerable risk in reapplying regardless. My concern is that the risk of an unsuccessful reapplication could potentially be outweighed by the potential risk of struggling/failing to match if CNU was to lose accreditation during my time there.

IIRC on a CNU some of the ADCOMS on here replied that they wouldn’t look down on an applicant turning down their A if it were to CNU. I would be curious to see if they still feel this way given the update. That being said, I’ve looked at CNUs reach out plan and unfortunately I am not really sure it’s as protective as some of the others on this thread seem to believe. Definitely worth reading again, but this is a very unique circumstance that deserves true adcom perspective and input.

Reactions: 4 users
I would attend. HUGE gamble that I would not be willing to take.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you for your thoughts! I am aware of the teach out policy and have read that 'students would have all the rights and privileges of students in medical education programs at LCME-accredited medical schools if a medical education program was to lose LCME accreditation'. However, I worry that a loss of accreditation could still affect their students' prospects of matching successfully. I read on another thread that medical school accreditation status is a factor that many program directors (> 40%) consider.
40% actually seems low--I have to imagine other factors like step 2, clinical grades, research, LORs, interview, etc are all much more highly considered. It is one piece of the puzzle when they evaluate your application, and of course if you had another option you likely would be better off choosing another option. At present you don't have another option, and "having a medical degree" is undoubtedly the number 1 factor that program directors will consider.

Of course only you know what factors have changed since your prior application and whether it is reasonable to expect you would do any better by reapplying. However, my personal perception is that applicants tend to significantly overestimate how much they have improved their application in one year's time, often because they have further bolstered areas that were already strengths without adequately addressing the real deficiencies. Take that for what you will.

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you all very much for your input! Unfortunately, it seems that there will be some risk no matter how I proceed, so all I can do is make the best decision with the information currently at hand. I emailed the LCME directly and they were adamant that students will be protected by the teach-out policy and will be eligible for USMLE, applying for residency, state board exams, etc. regardless of any change in accreditation status after the class has matriculated. With that in mind, I am leaning towards matriculating at this time. Again, thank you so much for your thoughts - I really appreciate you taking the time.

For anyone who may stumble across this thread in the future, other schools are not notified if you have been accepted to a medical education program in a previous cycle, but you do have to indicate if you previously matriculated or enrolled on the primary application.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 5 users
Thank you all very much for your input! Unfortunately, it seems that there will be some risk no matter how I proceed, so all I can do is make the best decision with the information currently at hand. I emailed the LCME directly and they were adamant that students will be protected by the teach-out policy and will be eligible for USMLE, applying for residency, state board exams, etc. regardless of any change in accreditation status after the class has matriculated. With that in mind, I am leaning towards matriculating at this time. Again, thank you so much for your thoughts - I really appreciate you taking the time.

For anyone who may stumble across this thread in the future, other schools are not notified if you have been accepted to a medical education program in a previous cycle, but you do have to indicate if you previously matriculated or enrolled on the primary application.
Good luck future doctor! Please keep us all updated should you learn more. As CNU will continue to have a probationary status, hearing from future and current students will be a massive benefit to future applicants!