Declining interview invite - Will reapply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rachelsgh

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Hi friends,

I applied before turning in my MCAT and did not fare well on one section. I did not turn in secondaries at the majority of schools after. I will be taking my MCAT in April and have been studying. It turns out I accidentally did not withdraw my app from one DO school that I did apply to - it was literally on my mind today to do so when they sent an interview invite while I was at work today (funny how that works). Will I get docked next year for not interviewing? It could be a school I would go to but not ideal as I have a sick family at home and would rather go to an instate school (DO or MD). And besides, I am already gearing up to reapply and am not in a mindset to interview on a whim. What would be the best way to decline this interview without severing ties with the school for the upcoming cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

Would you rather the chance to start med school a year earlier at a less than ideal school or a slightly better chance at a school closer to you a year later? If you interviewed and were accepted, would you decline the offer? If that's the case, decline the interview. If you'd take the offer and go be a doctor a year sooner, then you should interview.

If the rest of your app is strong and you really think your MCAT is the only thing holding you back (which, it may not be), then maybe gamble and roll the dice. But if you think you might have other weaknesses, then I'd say interview at the school and hope for a chance at getting in.

There are zero guarantees your next interview cycle will fare any better just because you retake the MCAT.

Reactions: 6 users
Would you rather the chance to start med school a year earlier at a less than ideal school or a slightly better chance at a school closer to you a year later? If you interviewed and were accepted, would you decline the offer? If that's the case, decline the interview. If you'd take the offer and go be a doctor a year sooner, then you should interview.

If the rest of your app is strong and you really think your MCAT is the only thing holding you back (which, it may not be), then maybe gamble and roll the dice. But if you think you might have other weaknesses, then I'd say interview at the school and hope for a chance at getting in.

There are zero guarantees your next interview cycle will fare any better just because you retake the MCAT.
Hey! It's not about declining so much, I messed up CARS pretty badly so I think I can say with certainty it would not have fared well for me. My score distribution was pretty good otherwise with I think around a 123 on CARS so I think if anyone were to point out red flags in my app that would definitely be one that is holding me back. I think my other scores were 128 C/P, 130 B/B, and 130 P/S. Correct me if I'm wrong but a lot of the feedback seems to be that the large gap between CARS and my other sections stands out to adcoms. Even if I did the interview, I would have to keep actively studying till the point I have an offer as I am supposed to test in April in which case I feel I should just take the test and apply this upcoming cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! It's not about declining so much, I messed up CARS pretty badly so I think I can say with certainty it would not have fared well for me. My score distribution was pretty good otherwise with I think around a 123 on CARS so I think if anyone were to point out red flags in my app that would definitely be one that is holding me back. I think my other scores were 128 C/P, 130 B/B, and 130 P/S. Correct me if I'm wrong but a lot of the feedback seems to be that the large gap between CARS and my other sections stands out to adcoms. Even if I did the interview, I would have to keep actively studying till the point I have an offer as I am supposed to test in April in which case I feel I should just take the test and apply this upcoming cycle.
My main reason being I am from a big city with a few school systems so it would be really nice to stay home due to my family situation. CCOM is the DO school closest to me and they seem pretty up there with stats so a retake seemed in order anyways.

Ah sorry I'm a little confused. I'd recommend taking the interview and then seeing what happens.
Hmm if I did get again wouldn't that take away the option of reapplying then anywhere (I guess for DO since MD hasn't shown interest yet haha)?

Cart before the horse.

Simplifying: you can decline the interview especially if you have a sick family member (meaning chronic illness) and so your timing to start medical school is not right.

Don't say it's because you messed up the MCAT. You got an interview invitation. At least one school overlooked that as a huge blemish to your journey as a physician. Don't take the II for granted... you might not get one from them next year.

Your risk: you don't score that much better on the MCAT. Need to exceed +3 on overall score. You probably can do it, but I have to say the risks.

Your reward: you nail the test and reapply. Hopefully your whole app has also improved for a better shot at the schools on your list.

Did you post a WAMC?

Reactions: 4 users
I am so sorry about your sick family member, and though on this website my opinion might be less common, you should strongly consider the choice that is best for your personal life and family (which may be denying the interview if you would feel pressured to attend after an A). The II is a great opportunity, but if being close to home is important to you that does not mean you care about this career path any less than the next person.

Just leaving this here so you know it is okay to choose your family during this time. This career path is going to be a long road and you should feel confident about both when and where you pursue it. Best of luck no matter what you decide to do.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Not saying this necessarily applies to you but saying this because I see it too frequently on SDN: do not apply to a school if you do not want to attend that school even if it's your only choice. Whatever happened, you now have an II and you do not know what the future holds: this may be your only opportunity to attend medical school. You applied for a reason and now you need to consider what your priorities are.

Applying as a reapplicant is not ideal but definitely not impossible (I myself was a successful reapplicant).

Reactions: 8 users
My delta between my CARS and my other sections is the same as yours: C/P: 130, CARS: 124, B/B: 131, P/S: 130
I’ve had a successful cycle with 3 MD interview invites so far, declined two because the 1st gave me an A and I didn’t see myself matriculating to the others.
Granted the other parts of my application: GPA, clinical experience are strong so it really depends. Medical schools will overlook an unbalanced score assuming those other aspects of an application are good.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi all - the events unfolded (or rather worsened) over this past year. Of course, I will go anywhere I get in as this is what I want to do, but staying close to home would be nice. I felt that a low CARS may prevent the opportunity to be close to home. I would never decline an acceptance, which is why I wanted advice and to have feedback moving forward before even interviewing. I was honestly supposed to withdraw and guess I did not from this school, unfortunately.

I appreciate everyone's responses - this is so hard!!

Reactions: 1 user
Cart before the horse.

Simplifying: you can decline the interview especially if you have a sick family member (meaning chronic illness) and so your timing to start medical school is not right.

Don't say it's because you messed up the MCAT. You got an interview invitation. At least one school overlooked that as a huge blemish to your journey as a physician. Don't take the II for granted... you might not get one from them next year.

Your risk: you don't score that much better on the MCAT. Need to exceed +3 on overall score. You probably can do it, but I have to say the risks.

Your reward: you nail the test and reapply. Hopefully your whole app has also improved for a better shot at the schools on your list.

Did you post a WAMC?
I have not - will do that for sure if I do decide to reapply

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this a zoom interview? If so, why not just do the interview for practice?
It is! Well if I get accepted, I would have to go correct? As I have no other options. I want to tread carefully as I understand it is very important to not burn bridges in this process!

I was already told my cars would not be competitive for CCOM which would be close to home. Same for MD.

OP, I think you need to keep in mind that if you decline this interview then you will never get an invite from this school again. If you decline this interview, you are already burning this bridge.

Of course, everyone wants to think they are going to score better on the MCAT and be a much more competitive applicant next year... in practice that doesn't always work out. While of course you may want to wind up at a "better" school, I think it is unwise to permanently take yourself out of the running for a school when you don't currently have any better options.

Reactions: 4 users
OP, I think you need to keep in mind that if you decline this interview then you will never get an invite from this school again. If you decline this interview, you are already burning this bridge.

Of course, everyone wants to think they are going to score better on the MCAT and be a much more competitive applicant next year... in practice that doesn't always work out. While of course you may want to wind up at a "better" school, I think it is unwise to permanently take yourself out of the running for a school when you don't currently have any better options.
I do not in any way want to do that. To reiterate - This is all around the basis of wanting to be close to home due to a sick family member, not for ego/school status, etc, and I (personally) feel my current CARS score will not allow me that opportunity.

I messed up by not triple checking I withdrew everywhere as this was the exact situation I was hoping to avoid haha

I do not in any way want to do that. To reiterate - This is all around the basis of wanting to be close to home due to a sick family member, not for ego/school status, etc, and I (personally) feel my current CARS score will not allow me that opportunity.

I messed up by not triple checking I withdrew everywhere as this was the exact situation I was hoping to avoid haha
Regardless of your reasoning, I do think that if you decline this interview you will be burning a bridge at this school.

• Love
Hi friends,

I applied before turning in my MCAT and did not fare well on one section. I did not turn in secondaries at the majority of schools after. I will be taking my MCAT in April and have been studying. It turns out I accidentally did not withdraw my app from one DO school that I did apply to - it was literally on my mind today to do so when they sent an interview invite while I was at work today (funny how that works). Will I get docked next year for not interviewing? It could be a school I would go to but not ideal as I have a sick family at home and would rather go to an instate school (DO or MD). And besides, I am already gearing up to reapply and am not in a mindset to interview on a whim. What would be the best way to decline this interview without severing ties with the school for the upcoming cycle?
I am an reapplicant.

Do the interview. And go if you get accepted.

You are NOT gonna have time to take care of your sick family member even if the schools are in state. Even if they’re 5 minutes away.

I don’t think this is a question on WHERE you should be going, but whether you are ready for medical school at all considering your circumstances. You will not not not NOT have time for both family and school, especially medical school. Again, doesn’t matter if it’s in state or not. Even if you get into CCOM, your focus should be 100% on passing.

I am the eldest child of an immigrant family. Literally all responsibility, errands, household chores, family obligations, including a sick parent, has fallen on me, currently falls on me, and will fall on me. I gave up an amazing school across the county for a medical school that’s 10 minutes away, living rent free. I thought it would be easier if I could keep an eye on things. It’s not. I realized quickly I shouldn’t have entered medical school with that mindset, and neither should you.

Good luck.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users
I am an reapplicant.

Do the interview. And go if you get accepted.

You are NOT gonna have time to take care of your sick family member even if the schools are in state. Even if they’re 5 minutes away.

I don’t think this is a question on WHERE you should be going, but whether you are ready for medical school at all considering your circumstances. You will not not not NOT have time for both family and school, especially medical school. Again, doesn’t matter if it’s in state or not. Even if you get into CCOM, your focus should be 100% on passing.

I am the eldest child of an immigrant family. Literally all responsibility, errands, household chores, family obligations, including a sick parent, has fallen on me, currently falls on me, and will fall on me. I gave up an amazing school across the county for a medical school that’s 10 minutes away, living rent free. I thought it would be easier if I could keep an eye on things. It’s not. I realized quickly I shouldn’t have entered medical school with that mindset, and neither should you.

Good luck.
Hey, thanks for your response. I am an immigrant too and understand how our family dynamics work - you're strong, and I am sure your family is proud of you. And you're right, the timing is not ideal right now. I think the year at home without the responsibility of medical school may be beneficial. If I did decide not to start medical school this cycle to focus on personal reasons and choose to reapply for 2024, what would be the best way to address that to the school that gave me an interview?

Hey, thanks for your response. I am an immigrant too and understand how our family dynamics work - you're strong, and I am sure your family is proud of you. And you're right, the timing is not ideal right now. I think the year at home without the responsibility of medical school may be beneficial. If I did decide not to start medical school this cycle to focus on personal reasons and choose to reapply for 2024, what would be the best way to address that to the school that gave me an interview?
You could also do the interview and then if accepted ask for a deferral

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Ahh!! Totally did not consider this - was not sure if it would be appropriate if I knew ahead of interviewing. Thank you!

Ahh!! Totally did not consider this - was not sure if it would be appropriate if I knew ahead of interviewing. Thank you!

Go into the interview planning to attend if admitted. Assess the situation if you get admitted. If the family situation is such that you feel the need for a year of providing care to a loved one in need, then request the deferral. If circumstances have changed by the time you are admitted, you'll be on your way to med school!

Giving up this interview invite could be throwing away your only chance to attend med school!

Reactions: 2 users
Wait, medical schools are doing zoom interviews these days?
My school has been doing them since the start of the 2020-21 cycle. Faculty love them, the office staff save a ton of time and money previously spent on catering (more money to lavish on admitted applicants in the spring), and applicants save time and money, too.

My school has been doing them since the start of the 2020-21 cycle. Faculty love them, the office staff save a ton of time and money previously spent on catering (more money to lavish on admitted applicants in the spring), and applicants save time and money, too.
It wasn't like that when I was doing medical school interviews. I had to risk losing my job to go out and interview.

I would imagine that medical schools should want to see their candidates, just like its wise to see patients, in person as the communication with them is astronomically superior than zoom. It's interesting to see medical schools exchange quality for convivence.

Perhaps this will benefit me as maybe some residency interviews may do something like this down the road.

Last edited:
Is it true that some schools demand that you not apply again if they defer your acceptance? Asking in case the OP is thinking they can just defer an acceptance and apply again to see if anything better comes.

Is it true that some schools demand that you not apply again if they defer your acceptance? Asking in case the OP is thinking they can just defer an acceptance and apply again to see if anything better comes.
Yes, actually all schools who would agree to defer your start for a specific reason, would ask for you to state you will not be using the deferral year to apply elsewhere.

Agree with @wysdoc . He would be expected to attend in a year

I am locking this thread to further comments due to irregularities with the username.
The advice given is sound, however, so it's available for others with this same question later.

Status
Not open for further replies.