Dedicated forensics rotation required?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

star23

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious, does everyone out there have a dedicated forensics rotation? I do some work with the ME while on autopsy and am seeing now if I can get out of doing a whole month of dedicated forensics. Please let me know how you guys do it.

Members don't see this ad.

Lots of programs see ME cases in the context of normal autopsy rotations. It depends on your program and whether they actually have MEs come to the residency site (or are on staff there). At our program, the autopsy director is also an ME, so we see regular autopsies and forensic cases on our normal rotations.

we have a dedicated 1 month ME rotation.

Members don't see this ad :)
We had a dedicated ME rotation. You could potentially get out of it if you had adequate numbers. However, most of the residents liked the rotation because it was 8:30-1:00. You were required to do 1 autopsy / day. Once you were done, you could go home. You did have to give a presentation at the end of the month though.

----- Antony

At my future program, forensics is an elective.

Our residency program has a required one month rotation in forensics that can be taken anytime after the resident has completed their autopsy rotation. They usually do 5-10 cases in that month. They go to scenes and go to court as well as cases.

Is there anyone out there who didn't do a dedicated forensics rotation and was still "board eligible"?

Is there anyone out there who didn't do a dedicated forensics rotation and was still "board eligible"?

we've only had a required forensic rotation for the last two years and the people before that didn't have a problem with board eligibility. the ABP doesn't care, as long as you have 5-0.