Dedicated research years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SooDeeO

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there,

I'm a junior GS resident in an academic program with a strong national reputation. I’m currently deciding whether to take dedicated time off for research. It’s mostly because I haven’t yet settled on a particular subspecialty.

My tentative short list of candidates is general surgery, colorectal, vascular, and surgical oncology. Unfortunately, I have had limited meaningful exposure to most of these thus far.

I understand that if I wish to pursue surgical oncology, then dedicated research is a must. I am also aware that colorectal and vascular are significantly less competitive in general. However, at the “best” programs in colorectal/vascular, is dedicated research still an expectation?

I know the safe play is to just take the research years. But another consideration is the opportunity cost of two years of life and half a million dollars. In other words, if I have a high probability of matching to a great program without dedicated research, then I’ll likely forego it.

Ultimately, I’m still undecided on academic vs private practice. That said, I am definitely not the “surgeon scientist” type, for whom dedicated research time would pay long-term dividends.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello there,

I'm a junior GS resident in an academic program with a strong national reputation. I’m currently deciding whether to take dedicated time off for research. It’s mostly because I haven’t yet settled on a particular subspecialty.

My tentative short list of candidates is general surgery, colorectal, vascular, and surgical oncology. Unfortunately, I have had limited meaningful exposure to most of these thus far.

I understand that if I wish to pursue surgical oncology, then dedicated research is a must. I am also aware that colorectal and vascular are significantly less competitive in general. However, at the “best” programs in colorectal/vascular, is dedicated research still an expectation?

I know the safe play is to just take the research years. But another consideration is the opportunity cost of two years of life and half a million dollars. In other words, if I have a high probability of matching to a great program without dedicated research, then I’ll likely forego it.

Ultimately, I’m still undecided on academic vs private practice. That said, I am definitely not the “surgeon scientist” type, for whom dedicated research time would pay long-term dividends.

Thanks!

Sounds like you don’t want to do the research years. Surgical training is long enough as it is, no need to make it longer. Exception: some people do a research year or two mostly to get a break.

Also, you can do meaningful research and publish without dedicated time and have a chance good vascular/colorectal fellowships. If you’re not interested in being a true academic surgeon, then your goal should be to match at a place that’ll train you well, not necessarily one with prestige (not mutually exclusive but don’t always go together either). You can also get an academic job without dedicated research years (not at research powerhouses but still doable).

In conclusion- you should only do research if you think surg onc or high-power academic career is your interest.