Default Current situation for British trained Drs relocating to Canada?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pumpkinpositive

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I will be starting my first year as a Dr (FY1) in the UK in Aug but thinking about my long term plans, one of which may include moving to Canada.

I have heard that foreign trained Drs including those from UK, Aus, NZ etc all struggle to become fully licenced in Canada even for rural GP posts, with many driving taxis and doing other random bits of work.

So my questions are:

1. How difficult is it to become fully licenced in Canada, are some specialties easier than others? Is it easier in some regions than others?
2. Is this situation set to change at any point in the future?
3. Are there any alternative routes to become a fully licenced Dr?
4. Should I even bother thinking about applying for a residency spot? (I have one publication not first author, one international presentation and a Masters of Research in medical science)

Any replies will be much appreciated! 👍