NHSC Defaulted on HPSP is NHSC loan repayment possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mommd875

Reaction score
I lost the HSPS scholarship with the military because it took to long for me to graduate from medical school. Then defaulted on the loan and it is in collections. Is there anyway possible I can apply for and secure the NHSC loan repayment program to help payback my surmounting debt. I already plan to work in a rural community (HPSA #19.3) and could truly use the financial assistance.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you graduated residency?

With board certification it may be faster to pay off if you chase money at a higher paying private nonprofit than the nhsc sites

No just applying for residency this year. Just trying to come up with a plan of action to attack this debt.

Members don't see this ad :)
I lost the HSPS scholarship with the military because it took to long for me to graduate from medical school. Then defaulted on the loan and it is in collections. Is there anyway possible I can apply for and secure the NHSC loan repayment program to help payback my surmounting debt. I already plan to work in a rural community (HPSA #19.3) and could truly use the financial assistance.

So, you basically want to take funds from one federal service loan program, to pay off another federal service loan program?

The NHSC application does ask if you have any other obligations to other loan programs, such as HPSP. I'm not sure how they would feel about your situation, but the fact that you defaulted on the HPSP will not speak well in your favor.

Are you planning on applying for a primary care specialty? And you're aware that you wouldn't be able to apply for the loan repayment program until you're an attending physician, correct?

Yes i most definitely understand the conflict of interest. I petitioned to retain my HPSP scholarships and then just fell behind on payments after it was rescended. But yes plan on primary care and yes i know i hv to be done or close to done with residency before i am eligible.

Yes i most definitely understand the conflict of interest. I petitioned to retain my HPSP scholarships and then just fell behind on payments after it was rescended. But yes plan on primary care and yes i know i hv to be done or close to done with residency before i am eligible.
Will the army let you commission after residency to pay your debt with the 4 years you would have owed?

Are you graduated residency?

With board certification it may be faster to pay off if you chase money at a higher paying private nonprofit than the nhsc sites

I can't imagine why you wouldn't be able to apply for and receive NHSC loan repayment. If you have a license and are working in the appropriate scored HPSA setting, this seems to be the only absolute requirement. It can't hurt to apply.