defaulted student loan question, please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shan1997

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
can someone give me some advice. This is totally my fault but my student loans are currently in default. I started paying for school out of my own pocket and thought as long as i was in school i did not have to start paying on my loans, i did not know i could do an in school deferrment. Long story short they want to garnish my wages. They gave me optionsof rehabilitation of my loan which is what i want to do but the amount they want me to pay are way above my means. I don't want them to think i do not want to pay because i do but they are asking for 500 a month, 300, 200 and i am currently trying to get into med school, only work PT and am not able to accept those arrangements. I told them what i am able to do but its not good enough. I told them all about my financial status to no avial. I do not want them to garnish my wages and wanted to know if anyone knows what i can do to avoid this. I figure something is better than nothing so if i at least make the effort to pay, can they do this?

Members don't see this ad.

My understanding is that you were ineligible for federal financial aid if you had defaulted on previous student loans. If this is the case, how are you planning on paying for medical school? Correct me if I'm wrong here.

notdeadyet said:
My understanding is that you were ineligible for federal financial aid if you had defaulted on previous student loans. If this is the case, how are you planning on paying for medical school? Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Thats my impression too. I guess that would leave you with private loans, which would be very expensive.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for that website, i will check it out. I just can't come to a payment arrangement with the company that handles my loans. I keep calling them, making an effort to resolve the situation but they won't budge and i just fear what they will do next