Defense Language Proficiency Test for HPSP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolslugs

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the Defense Language Proficiency Test? Has anyone taken it? How do you sign up and how does it work for someone on HPSP?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd guess you would need to be on active duty to even take it, and even if you somehow were able to take it before graduating from dental school, I can't imagine they'd pay you anything until you graduated. Why not contact your recruiter? I know you can take it at any base, I just don't know if you'd be able to sign up for it while on HPSP... also, not certain, but the language you speak (other than english) might need to be on a list for them to allow you to take the test and/or to pay you for it.

Anyway, if you find anything out off SDN, update us here, it's a good question after all.

Does anyone have any experience with the Defense Language Proficiency Test? Has anyone taken it? How do you sign up and how does it work for someone on HPSP?

you have to graduate first, be on active duty, and then you can apply to take the exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
While on HPSP the only time you would see any additional pay (if your language is one that is paid) would be on your 45 days active duty. You will have a few hurdles you will need to figure out on your own (I didn't take it while on HPSP so I don't know)

I take it every year, and here is what you need to do:

1) Get a DA 4187 signed by a Commander (google search DA 4187 and DLPT for examples). Being HPSP I don't know who you'd contact - maybe contact the guys at Ft. Sam and see what they say.

2) Contact the nearest military base and ask when they offer it (Reserve or Guard Units may also offer it).

3) Take the test - forward a copy of your results on the form they provide you to your finance office (don't know which one while in HPSP - again maybe Ft. Sam can help).

I suggest going to http://gloss.dliflc.edu/Default.aspx This site is put out by the school that the DOD sends its linguists to. You can look at some practice assignments that are pretty accurate in determining your level in the language itself. (It will help you determine if you are knowledgeable enough to get pay. 2 or better in BOTH Listening and Reading ) I am 100% sure that each service handles its FLPP benefits a little differently. Each service has its own list of needed languages. Basically, if you know a language there is a test for it. There are even different tests for Brazilian Portuguese and Portuguese Portuguese. When I was a Chinese Mandarin linguist, I also took other tests (Russian, Chinese Cantonese, Persian Farsi, Chinese Wu, and Italian.) The question is not what tests do they have, but what tests and results will you get paid for. The max pay allowed through the FLPP system is 1000$ a month. I know I was all over the place. But if you want more information just post more in here. Cheers!

I heard the military eliminated a lot of languages that qualifies for language pay (now it's only accepting Middle Eastern/African languages)...can someone confirm?