Defer acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stv2826

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got my acceptance letter from BU today. I wasn't expecting it at all so I already re-applied and was planning on traveling around the world while I take a year off. I am happy that I got in but I also think this year-off is the last chance for me to do whatever I want to do. I am thinking about deferring my acceptance for one year. Does anyone know if BU let student defer their acceptance for a year and guarantee an acceptance in the following year?

Members don't see this ad.

Before you listen to anyone on this forum call the school and find out for sure. As far as I know deferments aren't offered unless its something medical or really substantial. While traveling to amsterdam and hitting the "cafes" sounds like an uber good time, I don't think it will make for a good excuse for deferment.

I agree with bigsilvo. I think you should write a letter to the director of admissions explaining your situation. I wanted to defer my enrolment at NYU because I wanted to continue my current research project. I sent a letter to the admissions office explaining my situations, and shortly I received a reply from the director of admissions by email stating that it was possible to defer my enrolment. I also wrote a letter to Tufts asking whether or not it would be possible to be considered for the class of 2011 instead of the class of 2010 (I was on their waitlist for the class of 2010). Then I got acceptance for the class of 2011, with an enclosed “Deferred Enrollment Decision Form.”

In the end I have decided to attend NYU from this fall, as I have been offered a full tuition scholarship that is tenable only if I start my studies from the fall 2006. But my point is that it is worth writing to the admissions office regarding their policies on deferred enrollment. Although I did not know that deferred enrollment was possible at Tufts, the fact that the official “Deferred Enrollment Decision Form” exists means that the school does allow deferred enrollment under certain circumstances. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Angle Jr. said:
I agree with bigsilvo. I think you should write a letter to the director of admissions explaining your situation. I wanted to defer my enrolment at NYU because I wanted to continue my current research project. I sent a letter to the admissions office explaining my situations, and shortly I received a reply from the director of admissions by email stating that it was possible to defer my enrolment. I also wrote a letter to Tufts asking whether or not it would be possible to be considered for the class of 2011 instead of the class of 2010 (I was on their waitlist for the class of 2010). Then I got acceptance for the class of 2011, with an enclosed “Deferred Enrollment Decision Form.”

In the end I have decided to attend NYU from this fall, as I have been offered a full tuition scholarship that is tenable only if I start my studies from the fall 2006. But my point is that it is worth writing to the admissions office regarding their policies on deferred enrollment. Although I did not know that deferred enrollment was possible at Tufts, the fact that the official “Deferred Enrollment Decision Form” exists means that the school does allow deferred enrollment under certain circumstances. Good luck.

sweet deal angel.... full ride at NYU thats nice.... I am hoping to experience new york when I am up in philadelphia at school..

The award letter says that “The scholarship will be renewed annually provided you maintain a 3.2 grade point average,” so I’m not guaranteed a full ride yet. I heard that the Dean Alfano is going and my scholarship is called “Dean’s Academic Enrichment Scholarship” :confused: I hope the new Dean decides to continue offering me the Dean’s scholarship…

Angle Jr. said:

Sweet! Here goes my letter to NYU that i would like to be lazy bum for one year and could you please defer my enrollment till next year, and also please offer me the scholarship that covers my tuition and living expenses. Thank you very much for cooperating with me. Sincerely, ...

oh man can I take your seat at BU! I'm on the waitlist as of now, plus I live in Boston so it would not be a problem at all!

drengineer said:
Sweet! Here goes my letter to NYU that i would like to be lazy bum for one year and could you please defer my enrollment till next year, and also please offer me the scholarship that covers my tuition and living expenses. Thank you very much for cooperating with me. Sincerely, ...

Dear drengineer

Congratulations! I am delighted to inform you that the Scholarship Committee has reviewed your academic credentials and has awarded you a full tuition Edward Angle Memorial Scholarship for the 2007-2008 academic year. The awarding of this scholarship is based not solely on your past achievements, but also on our anticipation of your future accomplishments at New York University College of Dentistry.

As an Edward Angle Memorial Scholar, you can defer your enrollment up to 100 years. In addition, you will receive your VitalBook at no charge and $100,000 cash for your use to cover your living expenses in New York City.

I would appreciate receiving a non-refundable $320,000 security deposit by Tuesday, July 4th. If Angle Jr. does not receive the deposit by this date, your candidacy will be withdrawn.

On behalf of the Committee, please accept my sincere congratulations and best wishes as you begin your studies at the New York University College of Dentistry.

Sincerely,

I got accepted into Tuft's class of 2011 after being placed on the waiting list for 2010 when the class was full already. I was going to take a year off and travel and do all that stuff but then NYU came knocking and accepted me for this fall. I went to visit the school and it was awesome, so I placed my deposit right there and then. After weeks of comtemplating whether or not I should just take the year off I realized if this is my dream, the goal I set out to achieve when I first submitted those applications then why should I take a year off? Sure it would be nice for a few months, but after 4-5 months I was thinking I would probably get bored, and probably wouldnt like working a 9-5 job when I know I could have been in dental school instead. My point is, think about it hard before you write that deferral letter. Also, you need to have a good reason, travelling isn't really one of them.

Angle Jr. said:
Dear drengineer

Congratulations! I am delighted to inform you that the Scholarship Committee has reviewed your academic credentials and has awarded you a full tuition Edward Angle Memorial Scholarship for the 2007-2008 academic year. The awarding of this scholarship is based not solely on your past achievements, but also on our anticipation of your future accomplishments at New York University College of Dentistry.

As an Edward Angle Memorial Scholar, you can defer your enrollment up to 100 years. In addition, you will receive your VitalBook at no charge and $100,000 cash for your use to cover your living expenses in New York City.

I would appreciate receiving a non-refundable $320,000 security deposit by Tuesday, July 4th. If Angle Jr. does not receive the deposit by this date, your candidacy will be withdrawn.

On behalf of the Committee, please accept my sincere congratulations and best wishes as you begin your studies at the New York University College of Dentistry.

Sincerely,

Sweet!!! What's the address??? And who shall i make it payable to???
Dude, Mr. dean of NYUCD, you rock!!!

drengineer said:
Sweet!!! What's the address??? And who shall i make it payable to???
Dude, Mr. dean of NYUCD, you rock!!!

Dear Colleague

Assistant Dean has informed the Office of Academic Affairs that you have made your $320,000 deposit as acknowledgement of your intention to accept the scholarship award. Congratulations on this important decision. This is quite an achievement. I am confident your “NYU Choice” is a good one.

Your admission, of course, is conditional based upon the following:
- donating $1,75 million for replacement and upgrading of equipment in the NYU Dental Clinics
- donating $650 million in support of the NYU Smiling Faces, Going Places mobile dental care program

Checks can be made payable to New York University. Our mailing address is found on the following link.
http://campaign.nyu.edu/

Again, I congratulate you on your achievement. I am pleased to welcome you to the New York University College of Dentistry and extend my best wishes for a successful and satisfying career.

Sincerely,

Hi angel jr I am waiting on my top choice I got waitlisted and I would love to to that deferred enrollment decision because my wife is in middle of a masters elsewhere. Thing is that I'm nervous they will look at this as a not so convincing applicant and just reject me all together. Was that a concern of urs. How did you go abt doing this. Thanks

Hi angel jr I am waiting on my top choice I got waitlisted and I would love to to that deferred enrollment decision because my wife is in middle of a masters elsewhere. Thing is that I'm nervous they will look at this as a not so convincing applicant and just reject me all together. Was that a concern of urs. How did you go abt doing this. Thanks

You know this thread is from 5 years ago right?

Before you listen to anyone on this forum call the school and find out for sure. As far as I know deferments aren't offered unless its something medical or really substantial. While traveling to amsterdam and hitting the "cafes" sounds like an uber good time, I don't think it will make for a good excuse for deferment.
:thumbup: