Defer/reapply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blueberry01

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow friends,

I am really confused and would absolutely be delighted if I can get any advice at all. I wanted to get instate to save money on Dental school however, I ended up getting into an outstate school with a sky rocketing tuition of 56k a year without fees and room/board. (so, 90k with everything combined a year). I do not come from a wealthy family and this dental school would entirely be on my head.

Is there anyway I can defer the school (so for 2015) and see if I can reapply this year as well and try to get in. To me, it sounded like a big no-no. But I guess I need someone else to tell me. :)

-Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

How cheap is instate? If it's not totally crazy cheaper, you'd be better off getting that extra year of pay that you would if you were in the class of 2014.

Also, what state? Some states don't give away residency very easily.

Well, i got into Tufts (class of 2014). Tufts is rated as one of the top 5th dental schools in US. I reside in Chicago-land area. Instate tuition for four years is around 160k. Tufts tuition is around (275,000). Is it really worth the extra hundred thousand??

Members don't see this ad :)
the biggest issue is not that your going to lose a year of income (after you add in interest over 10 or 25 yrs its a lot more than the $115K price difference) its a question of whether you will even get in to your state school. you have no guranatee you'll get in, and once schools see that you turned down an acceptance to Tufts, they'll be less likely to give you an acceptance out of fear that you will turn them down as well... think hard about it, but ya $360K is a VERY hard pill to swallow.. your going to have very high loan repayment bills every month.. i cant believe these crazy tuitions, something needs to be done.

Go to Tufts.

The instate schools have had budget crisis and the students' tuition has been going up astronomically.

Go to Tufts.

The instate schools have had budget crisis and the students' tuition has been going up astronomically.

+1

Go to Tufts. Since you are in the Chicago-land area you could only get into Midwestern next year (private), UIC's tuition is sky-rocketing as Dr. Reo mentioned about state schools, or SIU. SIU is reletively cheap but you shouldn't gamble with an acceptance.

If you really want to be a dentist, then go to Tufts. That acceptance may not happen again and you may end up at BU or NYU next which is just as bad and you wasted a year.

Go to Tufts.

very true; Stony Brook which is one of the cheapest in the country just raised the tuition big time. Others are doing it as well

Go to Tufts. The sooner you start, the sooner you finish. If you had a choice this year I would say save the money. If you can't save the money then save the year of potential delay to graduate. Don't buy into the rankings-every school has its weaknesses and strengths. Be happy just to get in and to go to dental school. Thousands of people were turned down for dental admissions this year.

I believe the real question you should be asking yourself is, "Do I want to go to dental school?"

It seems You should have figured that out before you applied. Not everybody gets lucky to get in in-state, private schools are expensive, a rip-off, and not worth the extra money they cost, but had I had only the option to go there, I would have signed the dotted line. Pony up the loans like everybody else. Hey, you could be a pre-dent in Afganistan.

Also...it's Tufts, a great school. At least you're not paying 90k to attend a crappy and miserable one! :) I think you should go for it, don't reapply.

I'm pretty sure you won't even be able to defer, so the question may be moot. Schools rarely let you defer and, if they do, you need to have a good reason. "I want to keep you as a back-up option while I try to get into another school," sure isn't going to fly.

Like everyone else said... if you want to be a dentist, go to the dental school that accepted you. If you didn't get in this year, what will you really change between now and when you apply (shouldn't you have already submitted your app?) to give yourself a better shot at getting in next year? The most likely outcome is that you'll be in the same situation as you're in now, but you'll have lost a year. The tuition is very high, but take out loans like everyone else does and try to live reasonably.

Perspective: I know someone who got into a private and passed up the acceptance to reapply to try to get into an in-state in California. He applied 2 more times but never got any acceptances. Trying to reapply for an in-state cost him a career in dentistry. It's honestly not worth it.

Perspective: I know someone who got into a private and passed up the acceptance to reapply to try to get into an in-state in California. He applied 2 more times but never got any acceptances. Trying to reapply for an in-state cost him a career in dentistry. It's honestly not worth it.

So is he applying for a 4th time to dental school?

What skill is he good for now that he wasted 4 valuable years of his life?:confused:

So is he applying for a 4th time to dental school?

What skill is he good for now that he wasted 4 valuable years of his life?:confused:

No, he's done reapplying. Like most applicants, he graduated with a degree in bio. He's working a lab job...

You guys have definitely convinced me to go! thanks a lot for all the encouragement.

Dental school, here I come!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D