oze

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Hi all, I'm filling out some secondaries that ask whether or not I want to defer consideration of my application until my new MCAT scores come out.

I got a 29Q the first time around, and I'm re-taking it in September.

So whats the bigger advantage? Having it reviewed early at rolling admission school with marginal scores or having it reviewed much later in the process but with better scores.

Oh and if you're wondering why I'm retaking them at all, its because I had nothing to do this summer and would've been bummed to discover later on that this was the only time I could've retaken it.

Thanks for your help!

Jun 1, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I would not have them wait. Scores will come out in october which is kind of getting into the late zone and also, there's no guarantee it will be higher.

mcat scores are pretty stable and can you imagine how you'd feel if you got a 29 again or even a lower score but now you're worse off than before because you're weeks more behind!? i would jump off something high at that point.:(

OP
oze

oze

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2008
Status
Medical Student
way too late. I'd go ahead and have them review it now, then hope your new score can get you in off a waitlist.
FANTASTIC point about waitlists!

thanks for your help guys.

Jun 1, 2009
Status
Medical Student

TopSecret

Removed
Jul 14, 2009
949, 310
Status
Attending Physician
Hi all, I'm filling out some secondaries that ask whether or not I want to defer consideration of my application until my new MCAT scores come out.

I got a 29Q the first time around, and I'm re-taking it in September.

So whats the bigger advantage? Having it reviewed early at rolling admission school with marginal scores or having it reviewed much later in the process but with better scores.

Oh and if you're wondering why I'm retaking them at all, its because I had nothing to do this summer and would've been bummed to discover later on that this was the only time I could've retaken it.

Thanks for your help!
Send it in now while there's still time.

JJMrK

J to the J
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Be careful, some schools will not review your file until scores from any MCAT you are currently signed up for are in.

D

DRIN

I would not have them wait. Scores will come out in october which is kind of getting into the late zone and also, there's no guarantee it will be higher.

mcat scores are pretty stable and can you imagine how you'd feel if you got a 29 again or even a lower score but now you're worse off than before because you're weeks more behind!? i would jump off something high at that point.:(
They're stable if you have prepared properly the first time you took it ;).