defering admission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ranelar

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here done it? I'm thinking of deferring for a year for religious purposes. I know I really just have to ask the school, but I'd like to know if anyone knows what I should say or not say in order to make it work, or at what point is it better to ask (before deposit, after deposit, closer to day 1, etc)

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone here done it? I'm thinking of deferring for a year for religious purposes. I know I really just have to ask the school, but I'd like to know if anyone knows what I should say or not say in order to make it work, or at what point is it better to ask (before deposit, after deposit, closer to day 1, etc)

I think they will ask you for the deposit anyways. For the schools that I was accepted, they even required second deposit to be submitted a few months prior to intended matriulation.

Hope this helps! :)

Last edited:
Unless you find someone here who actually has experience with this matter then I would advise you to simple call the school in question and speak with someone. Most schools are willing to answer any questions from their accepted students.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think they will ask you for the deposit anyways. For the school that I was accepted, they even required second deposit to be submitted a few months prior to intended matriulation.

Hope this helps! :)

Are you saying that you gave a deposit, then deferred, and then you were asked for a second deposit the year that you actually ended up starting?

Read the post carefully. They stated that they "think" the school will require a deposit this year from you anyway. They also stated there was a second deposit required before school started. That implies that they paid two deposits in the months prior to matriculating.

I still say call. Nothing like hearing the truth from the actual source.

Read the post carefully. They stated that they "think" the school will require a deposit this year from you anyway. They also stated there was a second deposit required before school started. That implies that they paid two deposits in the months prior to matriculating.

I still say call. Nothing like hearing the truth from the actual source.

I plan to call, that's why I said:

I know I really just have to ask the school, but I'd like to know if anyone knows what I should say or not say in order to make it work, or at what point is it better to ask (before deposit, after deposit, closer to day 1, etc)

that's what I'm looking for

My bad man. I misread your original post. If it were me I would call and ask, without giving my name, what their policy was on deferred admissions. You can even state that you were recently accepted, but I would be vague about specifics.

I was considering teach for america, so I called a couple of schools and only one (Pitt) said it was a legit reason (so surprised btw, especially since med and law students do it all the time!). Penn will only defer for emergencies or medical reasons, and Ohio State said they would do it for a year, but teach for america is 2, so that was a no go too. I hope this helps!

And you were not aware of this potential conflict before applying?

Where you asking me? I applied to dental school over the summer and in the fall I was recommended for the program, so I looked into it but since deferring 2 years wasn't an option I didn't apply for teach for america.

If the question was to me: No, when I turned in my application I was not aware that I would want to go on a 1 year religious trip.

I'd call before paying the deposit and just ask the school if they offer deferred admissions, and if they do offer that then what is the process for it. They can't fault you for making legitimate inquiries.

Ah yes. Planning ahead.

From reading your posts, you seem to enjoy being the one who knows everything. With all due respect, you do not know my personal situation, and I don't care to indulge you. Suffice to say, it has nothing to do with planning ahead (or not planning ahead, as you cynically imply).

A fitting quote is: Man plans and God laughs.

If you have anything helpful to add to this thread, please let me know.

From reading your posts, you seem to enjoy being the one who knows everything. With all due respect, you do not know my personal situation, and I don't care to indulge you. Suffice to say, it has nothing to do with planning ahead (or not planning ahead, as you cynically imply).
A fitting quote is: Man plans and God laughs.
If you have anything helpful to add to this thread, please let me know.

Amen.

Nope, but I found out USC and Tufts won't let you except in the case of life and death matters, severe sickness, extreme family situations etc.

UNLV has granted me a deferral, and so I will be attending there in 2010 :D

did god tell you to go next year or what?

Although it seems as though your question is sarcastic, I'll give you a real answer anyway.

I've been slowly becoming more observant in Judaism over the past couple of years, and I've come to understand that one my roles as father and husband will be to be the "Rabbi of the house"; the person who knows Torah, who can answer questions, and who can pass his knowledge down to his children. Many observant Jews are born into such a family, and have gone to religious schools where they are taught Torah ethics and law. This prepares them to be a better father, husband, and person later in life. Because I did not grow up in such a family, I have a lot of catching up to do.

I planned to go to Israel to study Judaism in the summer before dental school. I knew that a few months would not be sufficient time, but it was all I could afford to do. In January, however, I met a person who graciously offered me a full scholarship (flight, room/board, tuition) to study in Israel for over a year (15 months starting in June). It was an opportunity I could not ignore, especially since after dental school I will probably have hundreds of thousands of dollars of unsubsidized debt, which means I would have to immediately start working to pay it off. I wouldn't have the time or money to do this until way into the future, which would be too late because the point is to be prepared for marriage and raising children (which I hope to do during or soon after dental school).

So, because I had already applied and gotten into schools when I was offered this scholarship, and because I'm a borderline applicant with a 3.3/3.18 GPA and 19/18 DAT, I felt like it would be better to try to defer than to try to reapply.