deferment while applying to a better school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leigh930

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
After being waitlisted or rejected post-interview from some great schools, I was accepted to my state school - it's my last choice and I'm really not sure if I want to go there. I'm strongly considering trying again next year.

Does anybody know how AdComs look at applicants who were accepted to a med school but opted not to go, then applied to other schools the following year? Is it possible to defer enrollment with the intention of applying to other schools at the same time (obviously I wouldn't tell the school of my intentions)?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by leigh930
Is it possible to defer enrollment with the intention of applying to other schools at the same time (obviously I wouldn't tell the school of my intentions)?

No, this is not possible. Schools you'd try to apply to would know you had already made a commitment to another school and not consider your application. The AAMC is very strict about this.

A selected few schools will let you defer without a comittment, so you can reapply to other schools. But I got a sense that this is very rare among med schools.

I heard that Case Western allows students to that. Columbia's another school I heard. I haven't heard of any other school permitting that. I think for most other schools, you have to drop your acceptance in order to go through t he app process again, which is probably a risky move.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, so would turning down the state school hurt me later (besides the risk of wasting what could be my only chance at med school), if I got interviews to other schools?

Just withdraw the acceptance and apply again. But, obviously the school can't be that bad if you are willing to try and keep the acceptance too. This is just silly.

do a search on sdn for extensive comments on the matter.

however med schools arent like law schools. a lot of them do not like the fact that you are playing them to try and get into better schools.

kinda like a slap in their face yunno? and most schools might not allow you to defer for this reason as well.

i remember there was maybe a couple schools that were ok with it but i think the general consensus is that is not viewed favorably at all. what makes you think you can improve your application significantly enough to get accepted to a better institution, esp since the schools will know you are a reapplicant and will ask you about your motives of applying again.

id say be grateful you got into a med school. lots of people love to be in your position.

I'm almost 100% positive you cant apply to another school without getting permission from the school you plant o defer. If you hold on to one and decide to go to another the following year, you might end up nowhere once both schools find out.

It is true that you can reapply if the school you are deferring agrees to it. I know there is a person on SDN that has done that.

What calbee said suprised me. if you're in columbia and you wanted to defer to get into a better school - i dont understand that rationale, i mean, how much better can it get than that? what a gunner!

Originally posted by exmike
It is true that you can reapply if the school you are deferring agrees to it. I know there is a person on SDN that has done that.

What calbee said suprised me. if you're in columbia and you wanted to defer to get into a better school - i dont understand that rationale, i mean, how much better can it get than that? what a gunner!

I've heard that Harvard also allows you to apply when deferring. I've also heard that their rationale is that they don't want you either if you don't REALLY want to be there at their school. might as well take someone who wants to be there. i could see these schools are coming from.

Originally posted by CalBeE
A selected few schools will let you defer without a comittment, so you can reapply to other schools. But I got a sense that this is very rare among med schools.

I heard that Case Western allows students to that. Columbia's another school I heard. I haven't heard of any other school permitting that. I think for most other schools, you have to drop your acceptance in order to go through t he app process again, which is probably a risky move.

yeah those are 2 of the schools.

so you gonna drop your acceptance to try again and face a real possibilty of losing out on going to med school altogether?

Originally posted by exmike

Well it's for people who are xxx school or bust (inference: Dr. Cynical).

Also, it's for people who would rather committ suicide than to leave their state (i.e. 90% of Californians ;))

Originally posted by canada
I've heard that Harvard also allows you to apply when deferring. I've also heard that their rationale is that they don't want you either if you don't REALLY want to be there at their school. might as well take someone who wants to be there. i could see these schools are coming from.
when you get one acceptance and its from harvard and then you decide to keep looking around, you are officially a *****

Members don't see this ad :)
i know it's a bit late for the OP, but people applying now & in the future really should only apply to schools that they would attend if each were their only acceptance. this "dilemma" could be completely avoided.

Originally posted by nibrocli
i know it's a bit late for the OP, but people applying now & in the future really should only apply to schools that they would attend if each were their only acceptance. this "dilemma" could be completely avoided.

that would require common sense....you know thats asking for too much right? :D

Originally posted by jlee9531
that would require common sense....you know thats asking for too much right? :D

i heart jlee. if i weren't married...

Pay attention to this; Getting in to med school is like dating a really hot chick. You know they've got plenty of offers from other "qualified candidates" so if you're lucky enough to score one, stick with it and be happy!

Originally posted by nibrocli
i heart jlee. if i weren't married...

haha. thanks for the kind words. :D but i rather not get beat up by your spouse...:scared:

Originally posted by HBMD
Pay attention to this; Getting in to med school is like dating a really hot chick. You know they've got plenty of offers from other "qualified candidates" so if you're lucky enough to score one, stick with it and be happy!

haha thats a good one.

i wonder if that means people with multiple acceptances are having like an orgy or something? :cool:

To the OP
I realize that you might be disappointed by your state school but remember that you are going to be a doctor if you go there. The differences between med schools are not signifigant enough to risk the possiblity of not become a MD. If becoming a doctor is truly your goal then I cannot see any reason to try to go somewhere else. Also I imagine if you turn down the state school and reapply then your chance getting in there a second time are basically 0. I would only reapply if you are sure that you can get in somewhere else.

Well it's for people who are xxx school or bust (inference: Dr. Cynical).

Also, it's for people who would rather committ suicide than to leave their state (i.e. 90% of Californians ;))

I guess I'm in the 10%. Whats so great about CA? LOL.

Originally posted by Eraserhead
I guess I'm in the 10%. Whats so great about CA? LOL.

I think it has a lot to do with where you feel comfortable living, and that has a lot to do with where you grew up.

I think it has a lot to do with where you feel comfortable living, and that has a lot to do with where you grew up.

almost half my life ive lived in east coast...mainly ny.

and i still wouldnt leave cali...:D

Originally posted by jlee9531
almost half my life ive lived in east coast...mainly ny.

and i still wouldnt leave cali...:D

Likewise. After 8 years away from Cali, I am more than anxious to return...

Cali r0x0rs! :p

To the OP,

I think you should attend the school that you're accepted at. You haven't mentioned, but what have you done to remedy any weaknesses in your application? You might be in the exact same situation a year from now. Why chance it, unless you've done something to correct your weaknesses. Was it lack of clinical, low MCAT, something.

I can't think of a good reason to reject the school that you are at. You can still land a good residency from any US medical school. Yes, a top school will help you, but you still have a shot at landing any residency. Recently, I looked at UVM's matchlist and it was quite good.

And it's your residency that matters. Yes, coming out of Hopkins is great, but you can still do your residency at a top school.

Go to medical school. Release your Ego and recognize how priveleged you are for getting into a medical school.