Deferring acceptance for a finance job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Concept2

Reaction score
I just got accepted to a fully stipended MD/PhD program, and I feel incredibly fortunate to be offered a spot at this school. However, the acceptance came after I had accepted that I wouldn't get into any medical schools this year (it came very late in a cycle where I only got 2 II total). Due to this, I had already applied to finance jobs related to the healthcare sector and signed an offer letter to work at an investment bank.

I'm wondering if I can defer my acceptance for a year, work and see if I truly enjoy my current job more than studying to become a physician-scientist, and then make a decision next year. If I get a deferral, does that mean I'm obligated to start medical school next year, or will I still be able to decide between sticking with my current job and taking the acceptance?

Members don't see this ad.

You may want to ask the Physician Scientist forum about this. I don't know what the deferment policy is for your MD/PhD program, but I'm hesitant to believe you would get a deferral. I would also check if you have an exit clause with your offer.

I just got accepted to a fully stipended MD/PhD program, and I feel incredibly fortunate to be offered a spot at this school. However, the acceptance came after I had accepted that I wouldn't get into any medical schools this year (it came very late in a cycle where I only got 2 II total). Due to this, I had already applied to finance jobs related to the healthcare sector and signed an offer letter to work at an investment bank.

I'm wondering if I can defer my acceptance for a year, work and see if I truly enjoy my current job more than studying to become a physician-scientist, and then make a decision next year. If I get a deferral, does that mean I'm obligated to start medical school next year, or will I still be able to decide between sticking with my current job and taking the acceptance?
Check your contract, but people leave jobs for better opportunities all the time. This investment bank will have droves of other people to fill your spot. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Check your contract, but people leave jobs for better opportunities all the time. This investment bank will have droves of other people to fill your spot. Just my thoughts.
I was more so referring to deferring the med school acceptance, so I have a year to work and see if I'm more passionate about finance.

I was more so referring to deferring the med school acceptance, so I have a year to work and see if I'm more passionate about finance.
That's something you're supposed to sort out before you apply to combined degree programs.

Anyways, your odds of getting a deferral to explore finance for a year are virtually nil, so you basically need to decide now whether you want to work in investment banking or go down the path of becoming a physician-scientist.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
That's something you're supposed to sort out before you apply to combined degree programs.

Anyways, your odds of getting a deferral to explore finance for a year are virtually nil, so you basically need to decide now whether you want to work in investment banking or go down the path of becoming a physician-scientist.
In retrospect, yes I should have done better due diligence. Just speaking with MD/PhD students and seeing what a lot of doctors who went through the program had to say this past year, I found a lot that is giving me pause. Knowing I'll be old before I get to practice while also realizing that physician-scientists typically make less than physicians only, I'm starting to grasp all the sacrifices I'd have to make. Also, I learned that not all research projects are treated equally. F30 funding is significantly harder to come by if your research area focuses on asthma and allergy for example. I learned that choosing a project you're interested in is far less important than choosing a faculty member who will pay/want you in their labs. In contrast, I saw the profession with rose-tinted glasses when I applied. I put academia on such a pedestal, only to realize that when I tried applying to biotech jobs for my gap year, the only people who cared about academia were those within those institutions.

When I applied, I thought the only thing I wanted to do in life was to go into medicine (partially from the encouragement of my parents as well). That's all I focused on in undergrad, and it led me to isolate myself in a research lab for 2 years after. Had I known there were other options that I would find interesting beforehand, I would've taken time to examine all my options.

Last edited:
Run. Do not do medicine if you think that anything else will make you happy. It is not worth it if you will always be wondering "what if" as you turn pipette, and write grants, and manage acidosis in the ICU and do whatever else you'd be doing as a trainee and later as a physician-scientist.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
This investment bank will have droves of other people to fill your spot.
I'd imagine even more people are chomping at the bit for that fully funded MD-PhD spot.

As for "what if", I think it's a matter of personal preference. Many of my relatives are in investment banking / quant and visualizing myself in their roles doesn't lead to happy thoughts. Then again, financial independence straight out of college (>$400k/yr) has a certain charm of its own.

Last edited:
In retrospect, yes I should have done better due diligence. Just speaking with MD/PhD students and seeing what a lot of doctors who went through the program had to say this past year, I found a lot that is giving me pause. Knowing I'll be old before I get to practice while also realizing that physician-scientists typically make less than physicians only, I'm starting to grasp all the sacrifices I'd have to make. Also, I learned that not all research projects are treated equally. F30 funding is significantly harder to come by if your research area focuses on asthma and allergy for example. I learned that choosing a project you're interested in is far less important than choosing a faculty member who will pay/want you in their labs. In contrast, I saw the profession with rose-tinted glasses when I applied. I put academia on such a pedestal, only to realize that when I tried applying to biotech jobs for my gap year, the only people who cared about academia were those within those institutions.

When I applied, I thought the only thing I wanted to do in life was to go into medicine (partially from the encouragement of my parents as well). That's all I focused on in undergrad, and it led me to isolate myself in a research lab for 2 years after. Had I known there were other options that I would find interesting beforehand, I would've taken time to examine all my options.
It definitely take an extraordinary amount of dedication to become a physician-scientist these days. Part of the struggle for these training programs is retention of students in the research endeavor. A lot of MD/PhD students convert to MD-ony, and even those who finish both often end up focusing on clinical practice. You have cited the primary reasons for this: length of training, salary, and difficulty securing stable research funding. NIH-funded research has become of a labor of love, which goes back to the dedication required to go down this road.

All that said, when we consider a new possibility, we have a tendency to exchange the old pair of rose-tinted glasses for a new set. In other words, at this moment you may be over-estimating the negatives of the MD/PhD while over-estimating the positives of finance.

I suggest you do whatever you can to give yourself more time to make the decision, bearing in mind that a deferral is extremely unlikely. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
Please don't take a spot from someone that actually wants it. Sorry for being blunt, but hopefully the words will be a wake-up call.

Wishing you all the best.

Reactions: 1 user
Think very carefully about what path you want to go down. While I’m happy with my choice to do medicine, I have a not-so-small number of classmates who have expressed regret about not choosing some other career path (a good number of them were choosing between medicine and stuff like tech, finance, mckinsey, etc.)

Investment banking is often a soul crushing career with very high burnout. You can make a ton of money but have little time to spend it (this is from a colleague whose son was in investment banking). My daughter who is in corporate banking works with many investment bankers and agrees it's a very tough career. By the way, corporate banking is no walk in the park. She puts in as many hours in her job as my other daughter who is a general surgery resident.
Medicine is a great, stable career that can have meaningful impact on others' lives. I have been doing this before many of you were born, and have no regrets--same with my colleagues. One of my colleagues is MD-PhD. He was in academia, now in clinical practice, with clinical research opportunities.
Speaking of job security, in investment banking, if you don't produce, you're out. In difficult economic times, there is also no job security. Goldman Sachs laid off 3000 last month. Just some things to consider, but I have to admit I am very biased towards medicine.

I’m a former investment banker (I did mergers and acquisitions, the so called prestigious area of IB). My gut reaction is to scream at you - Don’t do it. It is soul crushing and you will just be a stressed spreadsheet monkey for the first ~5 years (2 as analyst, 3 as associate, and then they will kick you out if you’re not gunner enough for VP). Medicine is stressful too but at least you earn tons of money for the stress.

I'm sorry but there is a surprising amount of comparing and contrasting when it should really come down to something very simple: do they want to take care of patients or not. (I know it's a combined).

I know OP is trying to make the most of their situation, but I'm getting vibes that they don't really know what to do, and are torn in more than just two directions.

What are you actually excited about OP? Imagine you had ten billion double dollars in your bank account, and a wing in your name at Harvard, what would you want to do with your time tomorrow?

If the first instantaneous thought wasn't "go to med school" then it's time to walk away, or as Lizzy put it: Run.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi OP, feel free to ping me. Currently working in finance on a gap year (still in cycle) happy to share thoughts (especially related to burnout). While i'm not working in IB i am working in quantitative finance. There are certain trade offs and things I haven't realized upon accepting post undergraduate graduation.

It definitely take an extraordinary amount of dedication to become a physician-scientist these days. Part of the struggle for these training programs is retention of students in the research endeavor. A lot of MD/PhD students convert to MD-ony, and even those who finish both often end up focusing on clinical practice. You have cited the primary reasons for this: length of training, salary, and difficulty securing stable research funding. NIH-funded research has become of a labor of love, which goes back to the dedication required to go down this road.

All that said, when we consider a new possibility, we have a tendency to exchange the old pair of rose-tinted glasses for a new set. In other words, at this moment you may be over-estimating the negatives of the MD/PhD while over-estimating the positives of finance.

I suggest you do whatever you can to give yourself more time to make the decision, bearing in mind that a deferral is extremely unlikely. Good luck.

Yes, and I'm trying to avoid my past mistake of blindly going into medicine in my current finance role. I've looked at both the pros and cons of the career and talked to many professionals within the field. I think it's common that when you work in a field for your whole life, you believe that other careers are more fulfilling or offer more. Doctors and residents I've spoken to mention all the downsides of medicine, while those who work in finance do the same for their industry. I feel as though only by experiencing each career firsthand can I know for sure where I'll be the happiest.

That's why I feel inclined to try working first, or I'll always look back at my life with regrets and what-ifs. I know my parents have many regrets about how their career has turned out, and they're both too old to change tracks now. They pushed me toward medicine due to the stability of the job itself; they emphasized that more than having an impact on patients or other more direct reasons.

Please don't take a spot from someone that actually wants it. Sorry for being blunt, but hopefully the words will be a wake-up call.

Wishing you all the best.

I don't want to take the spot unless I am 100% sure that's the life I want to have. It's less of a respect for others and more of doing myself justice; I have to look out for myself and those close to me before I can look out for others.

Investment banking is often a soul crushing career with very high burnout. You can make a ton of money but have little time to spend it (this is from a colleague whose son was in investment banking). My daughter who is in corporate banking works with many investment bankers and agrees it's a very tough career. By the way, corporate banking is no walk in the park. She puts in as many hours in her job as my other daughter who is a general surgery resident.
Medicine is a great, stable career that can have meaningful impact on others' lives. I have been doing this before many of you were born, and have no regrets--same with my colleagues. One of my colleagues is MD-PhD. He was in academia, now in clinical practice, with clinical research opportunities.
Speaking of job security, in investment banking, if you don't produce, you're out. In difficult economic times, there is also no job security. Goldman Sachs laid off 3000 last month. Just some things to consider, but I have to admit I am very biased towards medicine.

Job security is probably the top reason why I'm still considering medicine. Maybe that's shallow, but I think that's the truth for many people going into this profession, even if they don't openly admit it.

Of course, making a direct impact in others' lives is attractive, but at the end of the day (no matter what I choose), it's still a job. I've heard many physicians mention how they went into medicine with this "greater than life" idea of saving people's lives, and after they went through all the training, the actual profession can feel highly disappointing.

12 years is a long time to be in training for a skill that is highly specialized and hard to be relevant in other parts of life. I'm a different person than I was 12 years ago. I have different motivations, ambitions, priorities, etc. I'm afraid that 6-8 years into the program, I realize this isn't what I want. I'm worried I won't have the finances/time to raise my kids properly while in school or to spend quality time and treat my parents to everything they deserve before they get too old.

In a vacuum, if I only cared about myself and no one else, I'd easily choose medicine. As ironic as that is, that's where I am in my self-reflection.

I’m a former investment banker (I did mergers and acquisitions, the so called prestigious area of IB). My gut reaction is to scream at you - Don’t do it. It is soul crushing and you will just be a stressed spreadsheet monkey for the first ~5 years (2 as analyst, 3 as associate, and then they will kick you out if you’re not gunner enough for VP). Medicine is stressful too but at least you earn tons of money for the stress.

How is the path from IB -> buyside any different than from residency to attending? Most people only stay in IB for 2 years before they move on to the buy-side, where they can have more job stability, better WLB, and more interesting day-to-day responsibilities. If we compare IB to residency, the hours are about the same but you're also making significantly more money.

I'm sorry but there is a surprising amount of comparing and contrasting when it should really come down to something very simple: do they want to take care of patients or not. (I know it's a combined).

I know OP is trying to make the most of their situation, but I'm getting vibes that they don't really know what to do, and are torn in more than just two directions.

What are you actually excited about OP? Imagine you had ten billion double dollars in your bank account, and a wing in your name at Harvard, what would you want to do with your time tomorrow?

If the first instantaneous thought wasn't "go to med school" then it's time to walk away, or as Lizzy put it: Run.

Maybe the simplest explanation is indeed the best. If it was just about money or status, medicine would not be an option. But even still, I'm still deeply conflicted. Sometimes I wish I was born with a distinct talent and never wavered in what I want to do. But, I'm just a very average young adult and I feel a little lost in what I want from life. It's hard trying to filter out what other people want from me, and what I want from myself. In theory, it is very easy, but it's hard getting rid of the feelings and beliefs that I was taught ever since I was born.

Look, Medicine is a calling, like being a cop or a priest. If you're having doubts, go for finance.

And making bank is the baseline for any med school applicant. You have to have something more, because it's a service profession.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
Yeah I'm sure the IBankers were starving lol. I would think IB makes more money in the long run for around the same amount of work.
How much money do you think bankers make?
Average for analysts is about 80-100k nowadays, associates 100-120k. You do get year end bonuses but they haven't been great lately due to ~economy~. A standard workweek for an analyst/associate is like 80 hrs. It's just as competitive with lots of annoying gunners and firms that actively rank their analyst classes.

I will concede that culture has gotten better in the last decade. I joined in 2011 and the old-school frat boy lifestyle was still rampant.

How is the path from IB -> buyside any different than from residency to attending? Most people only stay in IB for 2 years before they move on to the buy-side, where they can have more job stability, better WLB, and more interesting day-to-day responsibilities. If we compare IB to residency, the hours are about the same but you're also making significantly more money.
Buy side isn't all its cracked up to be. You're doing the same thing, let's be real - cranking out spreadsheets and analysis. It's really not that interesting unless you feel a passion for finance. (which maybe you do!)

"Up or out" doesn't really exist in the med school path. If you make it out of residency you will be a practicing physician (unless you BOMB your boards but I'm assuming most folks won't). If you make it out as a 2nd year associate there's no guarantee you'll make it to the buyside or VP at a good firm.

But ultimately, we all suffer to some extent for our jobs. Are you more interested in suffering with finance or suffering with medicine? There's no right answer, go with what feels interesting to you.

You shouldn't be making any big commitments when you're this conflicted. It sounds like you have some issues that you need to work out before going into a very demanding field, perhaps either of them. Medical school will still be there in the future. Your health and sanity may not.

If you're seeking clarity, there's nothing like hardship to help you focus on what's actually important to you. It's difficult to see beyond the clouds when you are sitting atop the tower.

But ultimately there's no way for you to avoid making mistakes or having regrets in life, that comes with the territory. The question is who you become after that trial, because trying to circumvent any difficulty or regret doesn't lead to happiness it leads to emptiness.

Last edited:
  • Love
Look, Medicine is a calling, like being a cop or a priest. If you're having doubts, go for finance.

And making bank is the baseline for any med school applicant. You have to have something more, because it's a service profession.

I'll add social work and military to that list. Though, government jobs have their bennies that attract certain folk as well.

German physicians make an average of 80k a year, surgeons 100k and pcp 65k or less. Now THAT, is the definition of a calling. But their education path has much less opportunity cost.

I think the closest parallel is military medicine, which AFAIK hasn't had the huge salary bumps over the last 10 years like civilian medicine has. You'd have to be a real nut to join the Army medical division ;)

***hides my AMEDD forms***

How much money do you think bankers make?
Average for analysts is about 80-100k nowadays, associates 100-120k. You do get year end bonuses but they haven't been great lately due to ~economy~. A standard workweek for an analyst/associate is like 80 hrs. It's just as competitive with lots of annoying gunners and firms that actively rank their analyst classes.

I will concede that culture has gotten better in the last decade. I joined in 2011 and the old-school frat boy lifestyle was still rampant.

Buy side isn't all its cracked up to be. You're doing the same thing, let's be real - cranking out spreadsheets and analysis. It's really not that interesting unless you feel a passion for finance. (which maybe you do!)

"Up or out" doesn't really exist in the med school path. If you make it out of residency you will be a practicing physician (unless you BOMB your boards but I'm assuming most folks won't). If you make it out as a 2nd year associate there's no guarantee you'll make it to the buyside or VP at a good firm.

But ultimately, we all suffer to some extent for our jobs. Are you more interested in suffering with finance or suffering with medicine? There's no right answer, go with what feels interesting to you.

According to this, after bonus, analysts make 140k+ and it starts shooting up after that. This seems to agree with that. Investment banking has always been known as a field you go in for a bit, burn out in, and retire. I don't doubt that low level peons work a lot, but so do med students/residents between hospital, studying, and ECs.

Anyway, to OP, the ones that go into medicine for the money and prestige primarily end up being the ones that really, really regret there decision. Sure, even the idealistic ones get jaded. But the level of disillusionment and burnout seems to cut down a percentage of the enthusiasm/idealism they had coming in, so if you start off with more you end up with more. If I were you with your goals and values, I'd do finance. It seems like you have more of the finance personality.