Deferring acceptance to medical schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

combatwombat

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, without getting into the particulars of my situation, here is the overall picture: right now, I'm thinking of applying to MD, DO, and SMP programs. DO/MD schools would start in fall of 2010, and the SMPs would start this September. My SMP applications are done and submitted, and my MD/DO applicantions are complete but not submitted.

I stand a pretty good shot at DO and SMP, and a very slim chance at MD. Should I wait until I hear back from the SMP to apply to medical schools, or just go for it now? It seems like trying to take on a SMP while dealing with interviews/etc. could present a whole lot of problems. Also, if I get into a medical school I don't know if I'd be able to drop out of the SMP or get any tuition back (since I probably would not hear from medical schools until the first semester of the SMP is done).

Right now I'm leaning towards waiting until I hear back from the SMP, even though this could mean I have to apply 2 months later than I could have.

Addit: I screwed up the title of this thread, sorry :/ I was originally planning to ask about whether I could apply to all 3 programs and then defer medical school acceptance (if I got in) so I could take the fall '10-spring '11 semesters to complete the SMP... A related question, but secondary to this one

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Completing the SMP would probably not be worth it if you were accepted to Med school, I would just matriculate right into the program. Most understand that the purpose is to get into med school. If you are ok with DO and are competitive for Fall 10 admissions, it is worth it to apply now. Otherwise wait and tighten your application and apply in a year.

OK, without getting into the particulars of my situation, here is the overall picture: right now, I'm thinking of applying to MD, DO, and SMP programs. DO/MD schools would start in fall of 2010, and the SMPs would start this September. My SMP applications are done and submitted, and my MD/DO applicantions are complete but not submitted.

I stand a pretty good shot at DO and SMP, and a very slim chance at MD. Should I wait until I hear back from the SMP to apply to medical schools, or just go for it now? It seems like trying to take on a SMP while dealing with interviews/etc. could present a whole lot of problems. Also, if I get into a medical school I don't know if I'd be able to drop out of the SMP or get any tuition back (since I probably would not hear from medical schools until the first semester of the SMP is done).

Right now I'm leaning towards waiting until I hear back from the SMP, even though this could mean I have to apply 2 months later than I could have.

Addit: I screwed up the title of this thread, sorry :/ I was originally planning to ask about whether I could apply to all 3 programs and then defer medical school acceptance (if I got in) so I could take the fall '10-spring '11 semesters to complete the SMP... A related question, but secondary to this one

Okay, how much do you want to go into a MD program? Do you think that you have it in you to do really well in the SMP, because it is a big risk.

Also, think of the financial risk you are taking...not only will you be losing a year of potential income to go to the SMP vs. a DO program, but you'll also be spending a large amount to go...ouch!

Nothing says that you can't do an allopathic residency if you go DO.

Best of luck :luck::luck::luck::luck:

Members don't see this ad :)

If you have a shot at DO/MD programs I say go ahead and submit them. Maybe by the time you hear from both schools (SP & MD/DO) you would know where you stand and choose wisely.

Of course if you start any school program and indicate on your med school application, you have to complete it before matriculation into med school.

Goodluck with ur decision. It'S Always tough trying decide these things.

I'd do the DO and run while I could. If you don't like D.O. after your name then advertise yourself as Dr. Combat Wombat, specializing in marsupials.