This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.ToBeDetermined

Dr. TBD
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all I need some advice on how to proceed with my premed education (and I just think my premed advisor will be too biased for an honest answer).

I am career changer and currently in a post-bacc program that claims to have 90% acceptance rates into medical school, and has plenty of linkage agreements. I chose the school because I wanted to save time completing the premed classes, and this university offered a full summer semester and also linkages.

So I am now finishing up the summer semester, and my GPA may not end up being where I need it to be for the linkages.

So my question is, would it be a red flag on my application if I dropped out of the post-bacc after the summer to try to finish my last classes in a DIY postbacc at a state university? I just don't see much value in the post-bacc anymore if I can't pursue linkage and have already reaped the benefits of taking the summer semster. But I am afraid that since this post-bacc is at a "rigorous" and ivy league school, that it will look bad switching universities to finish organic chemistry and biology.

Also, does the post-bacc's 90% acceptance rate really matter, vs my state school's 21% MD and 53% DO acceptance rates? Or is it safe to assume that the high post-bacc acceptance rate comes more from the caliber of students the program accepts?

Sorry for the long post and all the questions. But I would really appreciate any guidance.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I am afraid that since this post-bacc is at a "rigorous" and ivy league school, that it will look bad switching universities to finish organic chemistry and biology.
Prestige really isn’t a factor for the postbac level. Just do well in your classes and on the MCAT.

Prestige really isn’t a factor for the postbac level. Just do well in your classes and on the MCAT.
Thanks, so a med school adcoms wouldn't be suspicious about dropping the postbac to attend a supposedly less rigorous school?
Also, I won't have a committee letter if I switch schools; do you think that would be a problem?

Thanks, so a med school adcoms wouldn't be suspicious about dropping the postbac to attend a supposedly less rigorous school?
Also, I won't have a committee letter if I switch schools; do you think that would be a problem?
Nothing is guaranteed - but how is an adcom supposed to know one school is more rigorous than another? Committee letters are preferred at many schools but to my knowledge all schools accept individual letters if one is not available. I think the risk that someone would look down upon you switching programs is really very low. Assuming your GPA is strong and you perform well on the MCAT, I wouldn’t worry. Best of luck to you.

This is a good question that I haven't seen before. Wonder if @Goro has any thoughts?

Last edited: