deferring acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Adrian

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to DO schools for the first time this year. I know that most medical schools allow an accepted applicant to defer their entrance into the program for a year. I was wondering if most or any DO schools offer the same thing? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

When I applied to KCOM, i was placed on the wait list after my interview. I was told that if I didn't get off the wait list that year, I was guaranteed admission for the following year. I went ahead and "deferred" for the following year. Not a traditional deferment but a deferment nevertheless. Hope this helps.

I can't speak for other schools, but I have been accepted to UNECOM. I had hoped to defer a year in order to move my whole family up there together. I was told that they only grant deferrals in cases of dire emergency. In my situation, my husband has a job commitment until the fall of next year, so it will require that I live away during the week and commute home weekends (about a 3 hour drive). The admissions director said that while my situation was unfortunate it did not qualify for deferrment. Each school probably has their own guidelines.

Renee

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that COMP has a deferred admission program as well.

EDGAR
WesternU/COMP 2003

Deferment as Edgar stated for DO schools is granted in only dire emergencies.
Each depending on the individual school of course. I was given a deferment option as my due date is 3 weeks prior to school. I declined it, for I have family that will be able to ease the transition and because I want to start school in August--I have been waiting in my opinion too long already (32yo). Good luck with your decision. Let me know if I can help in any way
smile.gif
Diane

------------------

Deferment as Edgar stated for DO schools is granted in only dire emergencies.
Each depending on the individual school of course. I was given a deferment option as my due date is 3 weeks prior to school. I declined it, for I have family that will be able to ease the transition and because I want to start school in August--I have been waiting in my opinion too long already (32yo). Good luck with your decision. Let me know if I can help in any way
smile.gif
Diane

------------------

Thanks for the input. Sounds like it is very difficult to get a chance to defer. I'm not sure if I would even want to at this point, but it would certainly be nice to have that option. Looks like I will just have to see what each individual school has to say about their policies. I wish they would put that stuff in their information they send out. Every medical school I applied to did, and it was nice to have that information up front instead of having to go digging for it.