deferring acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MOUTHLOVER

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do most schools allow for this, I'm thinking of waiting a year before I apply so that I can do some travelling. Is there anybody who knows for Canadian schools specifically, I dont think that I'll be applying to the states anymore...?

Members don't see this ad.

Dental schools don't allow one to defer an acceptance.

I've no idea about most schools, I do know that MWU mentions the possibility of deferring acceptance, under what circumstances they would consent I can only guess.

Edit: why not call a few Canadian dental schools and ask?

Members don't see this ad :)
True..A lot of dental schools list this in their FAQ's to check it out:

Example: Is it possible to defer admission once I've been accepted?

Answer:

No, the WVU SOD will not defer admissions to the D.D.S. program.
Temple the same,
The majority the same.

Last edited:
Do most schools allow for this, I'm thinking of waiting a year before I apply so that I can do some travelling. Is there anybody who knows for Canadian schools specifically, I dont think that I'll be applying to the states anymore...?

Why would you worry about "deferring acceptance" if you intend to wait for a year before applying?

Also, a lot of schools say they don't look down on taking time off, but when it comes time to choose between two similar applicants, the individual who spent that time working to get into school, as opposed to the individual who simply took time off for leisure, is going to get the leg up.

If you plan to come to an American dental school, you can't defer acceptance (NO dental school will let you defer just so you can travel) and you better demonstrate a hard work ethic towards admission, unless your GPA and DAT scores are consistently above average.

Just my $0.02.

They will NOT let you defer your acceptance so you can travel.

If they do allow a deferral, it would be for some sort of emergency.

Why don't you just apply next year if you're planning on traveling?