Deferring admission anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elephunt

Miss Sassypants
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted at a couple schools for class of 2009, but for family reasons I won't be able to start school this August. The schools I've been accepted to so far are Indiana and the University of Rochester, and I'm waitlisted at Hopkins (which I've heard is very supportive of students deferring for a year, but I'm not holding my breath about getting in there! I think I also have a good chance of getting into Pitt. Has anyone heard anything about these schools' deferral policies? Has anyone deferred, or know anyone who has? Any information would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Although I didn't get into some of the schools that you are mentioning, I can say that when I asked for deferrals, they were granted with a little formal paperwork. I think that most schools are the same, as they understand that if you are not ready for any reason, whether you need time for family, for love, or just to live a little, they'd rather give it to you then force you to start and do poorly. I was granted several deferrals, as I got new acceptances. I eventually canceled my deferral for reasons I will not mention, but my school was very accomidating. Maybe shoot an email or call the schools you are accepted to/will possibly be accepted to, and don't even give your name if you don't feel comfortable. They will at least give you the policies. Good luck with everything with your year off.

sscooterguy

elephunt said:
I've been accepted at a couple schools for class of 2009, but for family reasons I won't be able to start school this August. The schools I've been accepted to so far are Indiana and the University of Rochester, and I'm waitlisted at Hopkins (which I've heard is very supportive of students deferring for a year, but I'm not holding my breath about getting in there! I think I also have a good chance of getting into Pitt. Has anyone heard anything about these schools' deferral policies? Has anyone deferred, or know anyone who has? Any information would be much appreciated.

I deferred (with a different school) with no problems. My reasons were simply for travel and Spanish immersion training. I just wrote a letter to the Dean explaining my reasons for deferral, and they let me off the hook. I would certainly think that they would grant a deferral for family reasons. Just call and ask. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree that most schools will grant deferrals for family reasons. However, I am hoping to defer one year to get a degree in fashion design and was denied. I know that design is very different from medicine but i frequently emphasized my dedication to the field and explained that i just want to some formal training in one of my hobbies.
Is there anyone out there who wants to or did defer for a similar reason?
THANKS!

i want to defer and travel. but then when i get to thinking about how im going to pay for it, it all gets kind of hazy.

IndyZX said:
i want to defer and travel. but then when i get to thinking about how im going to pay for it, it all gets kind of hazy.

In the TMDSAS match I matched with UT-Houston but I was also thinking about deferring for a year so I can do a government program in Japan and perfect my Japanese. Do you think a med school would buy that as a reason for deferal? (Probably a better chance if it was Spanish~) :(

UT_mikie said:
In the TMDSAS match I matched with UT-Houston but I was also thinking about deferring for a year so I can do a government program in Japan and perfect my Japanese. Do you think a med school would buy that as a reason for deferal? (Probably a better chance if it was Spanish~) :(
im sure just about anything is ok, as long as you frame the request in a professional way.

how is an institution of learning that is worth its salt going to deny you from pursuing a personal academic interest?

IndyZX said:

I deferred last year to teach English in Germany. Actually, I just wanted to travel as well and improve my German, but couldn't find a way to pay for it either. There are some great programs to places in Asia as well as Eastern Europe, and most of them don't require knowledge of the language that is spoken in the area.

I make enough money to be able to travel, and teaching English is easy and fun. It's been a great experience so far, and I think it's a great way to learn something about a different culture beforing diving into medical school. Good luck!

No way in h*ll!

I've been out of school for three years and waiting for six.

This will (hopefully be) my hour.

ednamode said:
I agree that most schools will grant deferrals for family reasons. However, I am hoping to defer one year to get a degree in fashion design and was denied. I know that design is very different from medicine but i frequently emphasized my dedication to the field and explained that i just want to some formal training in one of my hobbies.
Is there anyone out there who wants to or did defer for a similar reason?
THANKS!

Rats- does this mean they won't let me defer if I am cast on the next season of Survivor?

Don't laugh; it seems like a perfectly reasonable way to make money for the ridiculous medical school tuitions we're facing. ;)