Deferring Admission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ammarsfound

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I just had an interview with my top choice school. My interviewer asked me if I planned to go straight to med school. I said that I *might* defer admission for a year to get some life experiences I might not be able to get after med school started. It didn't occur to me at the time, but could this hurt me?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi,

I just had an interview with my top choice school. My interviewer asked me if I planned to go straight to med school. I said that I *might* defer admission for a year to get some life experiences I might not be able to get after med school started. It didn't occur to me at the might, but could this hurt me?

Thanks
What?

This could definitely hurt you, depending on the school. The MSAR usually says whether or not schools are favorable towards deferments. However, most of the time, you need a good reason to defer (Fulbright, etc.). But if you weren't specific and didn't say "travel" or something like that, all is not lost! I'm :xf: for you!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want a gap year, why did you apply?

Definitely not a plus, leaves a poor impression. If I were the interviewer, I'd think "What the f***, can't this guy make up his mind?"

It's really not a good idea to share inner thoughts during an interview. The objective of the interview is to sell your positives, not to demonstrate your uncertainties.