Deferring Final Exams?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gavanshir

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, has anyone ever deferred a final exam before? I fell sick this past friday and I slept most of the day yesturday. I have two finals this week, Marketing on Thursday and OrgII on Friday. I'm not doing great in Marketing and I'm thinking about deferring my exam by getting a doctor's note so I'll have more time to study for it.

According to the advice I've gotten I should do anything possible for the sake of my GPA, which is why I'm considering this. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

Gavanshir said:
Hello, has anyone ever deferred a final exam before? I fell sick this past friday and I slept most of the day yesturday. I have two finals this week, Marketing on Thursday and OrgII on Friday. I'm not doing great in Marketing and I'm thinking about deferring my exam by getting a doctor's note so I'll have more time to study for it.

According to the advice I've gotten I should do anything possible for the sake of my GPA, which is why I'm considering this. What do you think?
Can't help you much without knowing the policies of your school, and I don't know how things are done in Canada.

If you've recovered from being sick, I'd try to work as hard as I could until Thursday and go ahead and take your finals. It's a big hassle if you don't - most instructors are on a very tight timeline to get finals graded, determine final grades, and get those grades in by the deadline. Some schools may not permit your instructor to give a make-up test next week if this is the last week of regular classwork. So... you may be looking at taking an incomplete for your grade - which, down here at least, is usually crossed-out and then your final grade is written-in after you finish the final when the new semester starts. The struck-out incomplete, however, may stay on your transcript - and, if it does, you have to report it to AMCAS as an incomplete-changed-to-final-grade. Not really a problem, but you might have to explain that you were sick one finals week.

I'd just avoid the whole thing if at all possible. I have a test tomorrow, too - we both need to get off SDN and hit those books! Good luck to you.

Gavanshir said:

I didn't know that people could defer final exams because sickness on days before the test. So you were sick one day and slept in the next day. I take it you're doing better now and will be better for your finals (obviously, since you are taking one of them). So therefore, you must be saying that you will get a doctor's note for the day of the exam in order to get out of it, even though you'll be fine. It's rather dishonest, and could two days really have made much of a difference? Everyone gets sick, and people usually prepare for exams all throughout the semester/quarter. I say suck it up and give it your best.

Members don't see this ad :)
The big case of this I have seen is when people get mono, sudden emergency situation (like vestigial organ needs to come out), or dire family situation. So you might want to check with the dean, who might just say no. Also make sure the professor doesn't give a harder make-up exam :eek:

I've never heard of being able to defer a final exam in any case that didn't involve a death in the family or a medical emergency. I guess it all depends on your university. If you do get to take it later, count on it being more difficult than the one given to your classmates.