deferring loans

Started by ek6
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ek6

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey, just a question to all of you residents. How tough or easy is it to defer your loans through residency? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I guess this would require applying for economic hardship or something like that.
 
I found it to be easy. You just fill out a form. All of mine are through SallieMae. It's also been pretty easy to forbare them for awhile after residency. You just have to know that the interest is still growing like a festering cancer.
 
Be sure to check the date of your first student loan - if it's pre-1993 you don't even have to demonstrate a financial hardship, it can be deferred just for being in residency.