deferring pharm school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rleung3

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have not been accepted into pharm school yet, but if I am, I have been contemplating taking a year off (I need one since I have had some issues in my life lately...I just kind of want a breather). However, I don't want to withdraw my application since 1) it's already in and 2) by the time April comes around, if I do get in, I might decide to just go to pharm school right away. My question is...if I do get accepted and decide to take a year off, do you think that it would hurt my chances of them looking at my application again the following year? (most schools don't let you defer admission unless you're going to Iraq or something, so I would have to re-apply)

Thanks for reading this.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I have not been accepted into pharm school yet, but if I am, I have been contemplating taking a year off (I need one since I have had some issues in my life lately...I just kind of want a breather). However, I don't want to withdraw my application since 1) it's already in and 2) by the time April comes around, if I do get in, I might decide to just go to pharm school right away. My question is...if I do get accepted and decide to take a year off, do you think that it would hurt my chances of them looking at my application again the following year? (most schools don't let you defer admission unless you're going to Iraq or something, so I would have to re-apply)

Thanks for reading this.

If I were you, and I got accepted, I'd jump on the chance.

The applicant pool is getting more competitive every year.

Agreed - don't delay if at all possible. And get it in writing if they say they will let you skip next year and start the year after instead.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

Thanks for reading this.

Honestly, ask yourself about your priority. I personally wouldn't let it slip for some "rest". Pharm school makes you forget about life anyway ^_^

Many schools will not let you defer for that reason alone. I tried.

Well, I know they won't let you defer, but if you turn them down and apply again the next year, would they just pass over your application since you "rejected" them the year before?

Well, I suggest that you don't take your chances because you know what, I was considering the same thing last year.

I only applied to one school because my parents actually forced me to. I wasn't accepted, I was waitlisted. And so... I took a year off and had to re-apply.

This time around I wasn't invited for an interview to the school I had applied to last year, even though I was waitlisted last year! I was sooooo very close too!

Had I been accepted, I would have just taken it.
I mean I'm having a blast taking a break and traveling the world, but if you're accepted, you should just take it. Unless you don't care which schools you're accepted in, then go for it if you like.

My stats are pretty decent so I got a lot of other interviews this year, whereas last year I only applied to one school. And lucky for me, I don't care too much where I go as long as I get there.

I hope everything I just said makes sense to you. It's quite a long story.

Oh and the lesson is, don't take chances! They might not invite you again.

Oh and the lesson is, don't take chances! They might not invite you again.

Fidelio,

Do you have a BS/BA degree? I thought you were in your 3rd year of college when you applied last year. Sorry to hear you didn't get an interview this year. You have pretty good stats from what I can remember so I am pretty surprised as well. Good luck on your other schools.

What would you guys do if you got into a school that you didn't really want to go to but had good enough stats that you think you could get into if you applied for the next year?

USN allows a one year deferal